Light-O-Rama Forums

Best to start in s4 or s5

Euro92

Simple question. Should a newbie start in S5 or S4? Seems like maybe the new user should start in s4 as most of the forums worked with s4 or is s5 just better? Thanks.

I'll be honest with you, if you don't know LOR at all and are just beginning then I would say start with S5. Learn it now and go forward since that is the future direction of LOR. If you learn S4 now then in a year or so you will need to learn S5 as it is totally different.

I have to agree with Mr P. Go with S5. I started on S4 so I am too late in the season to try to learn S5 so I will be learning S5 next year. But if you have the opportunity to choose and you have pixels than I would go with S5 that way you get familiar with one program and don't have the learning curve that I did trying to learn a new version. I already had most of my sequences done in S4 that's the only reason I didn't go with S5 this year as I have been programming sequences since May and S5 wasn't available then. the only downfall is there's not a whole lot of tutorials on S5 yet.

I'm an S4'er but if v5 is fairly bug free and and somewhat differenct look and feel, I'd just start with S5 as newbie. That doesn't mean  S4 wouldn't be usefule for a handful of years to come. If a software version is doing what you want out of it, may be no reason to upgrade.  Heck, I'm still running over a 15 years old version MS Office..it does what I want.  

I will chime in too. I would start with S5. for all of the above reasons. I used the beta version last year for my production show with no significant issues. 

I am now working on the 2018 show using the release version....so many new features speed upgrades etc.

S5 would be my choice if I were starting new.

Guys,   I would agree whole heartily, except for one tiny little detail....... if you're starting out brand new to all this. Then one key thing you need is the Help files, and the tutorials, and as far as I can find those don't yet exist for S5.        I agree ideally starting with S5 would be my recommendation too, some really nice improvements over S4,  but they likely will need even more help than the typical newbie......   Just a thought.....   

Actually there are quite a few tutorials (mostly done by Alan - default).  There are also quite a few of us here that can help with specific questions.  LOR is working on the help files and "official" tutorials...

If you're completely new, Go with S5. For me it's a learning curve because I used lor from version 1.6.9 S1 all the way up through S5. S1 to S4 for the most part is basically the same layout, so for me going to S5 was a change and took me time getting used to it .