Light-O-Rama Forums

De soldering

Frank Rossi

I installed a 8 bit flip-flop 20 pin dip installed backwards and trying to de-solder and install correctly. Several attemps not doing well, any ideas? I used one of the radio shack suction tools but the items is still firmly attached to the board. Was going to use a heatshrink heat gun but the board was getting very hot?

I understand there is a thing called 'desoldering tweezers' which grip and heat all the pins at the same time so you can just pull the components off the board. They have various tips to fit various components.

Other than that, the desoldering braid is a cheap but tedious way to remove the solder. Be careful not to heat the board too much, the glue which holds the lands down can break down.

If the vias (Holes) are not clear of solder the IC will not come out.

Yes desoldering braid is good and should clear the vias, use plenty of heat from the solder iron, sometimes you add solder back to the pin then use the braid again. Also before trying to remove the chip take a small pair of needle nose pliers and on the solder side of the board wiggle each chip lead and see if it moves in the vias, turn the board over and use a small flat blade screw driver under the chip and try gently to pry the chip up off the board. Do not force the chip or you will damage the board and the IC.

Take your time. The LOR boards are extra thick and it will take extra heat to remove the solder, also extra patience.

Be careful, if you do not think you can do it, don't. Find someone who is experienced.

Compressed air from one of those cans of dust cleaner for computer keyboard/electronics worked great for me. Don't ask me how I know, but make sure you are pointing it away from you when you pull the trigger.

I did the same thing on my first board. I ended up pulling the chip off with plyers. It left the pins in the holes, but it was much easier for me to get each pin out individually rather than the entire chip. LOR just sent me another chip. Thanks for there great service.... Matt

I have also used the compressed air method but one note it sometimes blows the solder over the board causing multiple short circuit problems. I use blue painters tape to cover as much as I can on both sides of the board to contain the "solder spray" as much as possible.

grandlakedad wrote:

I have also used the compressed air method but one note it sometimes blows the solder over the board causing multiple short circuit problems. I use blue painters tape to cover as much as I can on both sides of the board to contain the "solder spray" as much as possible.

Cool idea. Thanks, I was holding the board high off the table to prevent it from splattering.

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I used the baird and air in the bottle and got it off and back on. Everything works as advertized. Thanks again for all of the suggestions.

Braid's always been my favorite. Glad it worked for you.

I've had good results with a good spring loaded pump like this one: http://mcmelectronics.com/product/21-8220 (never used the Radio Shack version). If the chip's cheap and being stubborn, it gets clipped out with flush cutting pliers so legs can be removed one at a time to minimize board damage. But that's just me, I've always been overly cautious about overheating parts.

I use the exact same philosophy as Dan. Solder-sucker and if the chip is cheap enough, clip it first then do one hole at a time to minimize possible PCB damage.

Except I use this tool instead...
http://www.markertek.com/SearchProduct.asp?item=S2157&off=0&sort=prod&skuonly=0&search=S2157&pagesize=20