Light-O-Rama Forums

Editing channel assignments information

k6ccc

I swear there was a way to do this, but I sure can't find it.  So likely, my stupid :)

When creating or editing a preview and creating or editing a prop that is either single bulbs or strings, is there a way to edit the channel assignments as a group or do you have to edit each channel one by one?  With RGB pixel strings or a matrix it's easy to do the whole strings, multiple strings, or a matrix in one shot, but how do you do it with traditional strings?  In my specific case, for a specific preview I was adding two additional eight string singing faces.  I could copy the prop, but as far as I could tell, had to edit each channel one by one.

What am I missing?

In Preview Design, the "Channel Conflicts" tab is also great for making bulk changes.

1) On that tab, change the first drop-down to "All Props".

2) Then use click, shift-click, and/or ctrl-click to select the items you want to change.

3) Click Change Selected Props > Renumber Strings.

You can also use it to move items to a different LOR network, LOR unit id, or DMX network.

Matt

Thanks Matt.  Just a little feedback on the Renumber strings.  First is there does not seem to be a way off the page without cancelling the changes - OK it works, but is confusing.  Clicking "Renumber" changes the numbers on the "Renumber strings" popup, but not on the listing of the channels.  Pressing "Cancel" does not cancel, but rather saves the changes to the list of channels on the props.  In this screen capture, I changed the starting unit ID from 01 to 03 and have pressed "Renumber".  The change has shown on the right, but not the channel list on the left.

S5.1.0_Renumber_channels-1.png

The only way to get the channel listing on the left to reflect the changes is to press "Cancel".  That does not cancel, but actually saves the change.  In this next screen capture, I have pressed "Cancel" and the channels have updated on the channel listing from Unit ID 01 & 02 to become 03 & 04:

S5.1.0_Renumber_channels-2.png

When I go back to the design screen, and select one of the items, it shows the Unit ID change. 

S5.1.0_Renumber_channels-3.png

However if there are items that  are set to "Use the same channel as:", the change is not reflected there.  In the case of the Open eyes, there are actually four items - Upper Eyelid (left), Upper Eyelid (right), Eyeball (left) and Eyeball (right) which are all set to use the same channels as: Eyes Open.  When selecting one of those four items, the non-changed channel information is shown:

S5.1.0_Renumber_channels-4.png

I did not have any easy way to see if it actually changed or not.

One sort of related item.  Again when dealing with a channel that has several items set to "Use the same channels as" (Sub-props if I understand the terminology).  Manually changing  the channel information on the Prop Definition screen for a Master Prop, does not change the channel information for the Sub-props, and I was able to confirm that the Sub-prop items will NOT work without changing each one of them individually.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Thanks for the detailed feedback! The Renumber Strings dialog has been fixed and the updates will be in the next release. See the screen shot below.

23 hours ago, k6ccc said:

One sort of related item.  Again when dealing with a channel that has several items set to "Use the same channels as" (Sub-props if I understand the terminology).  Manually changing  the channel information on the Prop Definition screen for a Master Prop, does not change the channel information for the Sub-props, and I was able to confirm that the Sub-prop items will NOT work without changing each one of them individually.

You are correct. In version 5.1.0, keeping the channels used by master props and sub-props synchronized is a manual exercise. In the next release, the "Other Warnings" tab in Preview Design will at least display a warning when they are out of sync. We will work to improve on that in a future release.

Matt

image.png

3 minutes ago, MattBrown said:

Thanks for the detailed feedback! The Renumber Strings dialog has been fixed and the updates will be in the next release. See the screen shot below.

Thanks Matt.  That makes a lot more sense.

3 minutes ago, MattBrown said:

You are correct. In version 5.1.0, keeping the channels used by master props and sub-props synchronized is a manual exercise. In the next release, the "Other Warnings" tab in Preview Design will at least display a warning when they are out of sync. We will work to improve on that in a future release.

I was thinking about this for a while last night after I posted my message.  I have a suggestion.  Take it, discard it, modify it, whatever...  Couple ways this could be implemented.

On the Prop Definition, Change the "Use the same channel as" to a checkbox for something like "This is a Master-Prop".  Also have a checkbox for "This is a Sub-Prop" - (obviously mutually exclusive).  If the Sub-Prop box is checked, then enable a dropdown to select which Master-Prop.  Also have a pair of mutually exclusive checkboxes for: "Use same channels as the Master-Prop", and "Do NOT use same channels as the Master-Prop".  If the second box is checked, allow entry of a different channel.  Granted, most of the time, the Sub-Props will use the same channel information, but let me give an example in my own yard for using a Master and Sub Props that use different channels.  In my yard, I have a bunch of spotlights that point at the flags on my flagpole.  Because the conduits feeding power to those lights come from different places, there are two LOR channels on different controllers to control those lights.  Currently I have one channel that is "Flags 1" and another channel that is "Flags 2".  They are ALWAYS doing the same things - for the most part in this case, they are 100% on.  Following my suggestions, I could have a Master-Prop of "Flags" with the Sub-Props of "Flags 1" and "Flags 2".  One of those could use the same channel information as the Master, but the other would have the checkbox set to allow a different entry.  This would give the advantage of only taking one line on the sequencing grid to program for the Flag lights.

Make sense?

• 3 weeks later...

How do you add controllers, I have 4 16 channel controllers, and 13 CCR's. How do I add the CCR's And can you save the controller info and use it on other songs ?