Light-O-Rama Forums

Windows 10 monthly lease

Mr. P

Yeah but that looks more like a service that is offered to businesses for ones that can't manage their own IT department. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TitusCarnathan said:

Yeah but that looks more like a service that is offered to businesses for ones that can't manage their own IT department. 

I agree but it has to start somewhere.Lets see where it is a few years from now. You can't make money buy selling an OS just one time without the user purchasing upgrades later. It will go the way of Office.

Maybe we could purchase LOR Software once and get free upgrades for life.  ?

Edited by Mr. P

Sure in the corporate world this works because there's a lot of people who work remotely and corporate offices want somebody to handle all the software, hardware and damage claims. But for somebody like me all I need is a desktop and personal laptop. Just another way for them to charge corporations more but if something happens like the screen breaks or there's a software issue they will fix it versus having to put it into a repair shop and footing the bill yourself. Looking at it from a business perspective it might make sense but to me not so much as I'm not a multimillion-dollar corporation LOL

Rent-A-Center has actually been leasing  laptops for about 11 years now. But boy we got some garbage ones back after only a couple weeks of being on lease when I used to work for them. the trick to this is Microscrew likes to get everybody for more money every chance they get. Corporations will lease these and end up spending $5,000+ on the lease when they could have just bought one for $1,000 outright. Smh

Still got my Win 7 disks, in a pinch, but I kinda doubt it will come to that.

Edited by PhilMassey

19 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

Yeah, but LOR doesn't work in Linux.

not yet, but the dude doing the S5 rewrite worked biggly on xLights.  xLights runs on Windows, Mac's, and LINUX!! :) 

Mike's Perspective:

DAAS (Device as a service) is nothing new or explosive when it comes to Microsoft.  For years, MS has sold hardware and software.  DAAS will simply bring those two things together into a single neat package for corporate users (or home users who want to be free of maintenance).

Most corporate IT departments no longer purchase their computers - they lease them, and they have been for many years.  For the corp it makes sense -- they don't have to worry about ever having old outdated machines.  Most companies I know run a 2 or 3 year lease cycle:  They lease the same computer (identical configurations) for 2 years on a rolling basis.  As the 2 years are up, they replace them with with new.  That means the IT department only has to ever support 2 configurations:  the 'older' machine, and the newer one.  When it physically breaks (as opposed to just loading a fresh install), you send it to the leasing company.

However, there are still two different platforms to support.  Now you have to roll in all the updates that need to be done during that lifetime, dealing with users who may be on the road (work from home), etc.  There is a lot of logistics involved with keeping everyone in the company on the same platform.

Having a domain (and ensuring your worker bees are logging into it frequently), can help with keeping things up to date.  But you still have to have people test each update, and then properly deploy them.

So why not lease the hardware AND the update facility from the same people?  Their device, they deal with it.  For medium sized corporations, this makes a lot of sense.

But don't confuse DAAS with WAAS (WINDOWS as a service).  WAAS is what YOU need to worry about in the future - when you are forced to own your own hardware, however you have to pay a monthly lease to MS to actually be able to use it.  That is when it hits the fan.

IMHO, Win 10 is going to be the LAST licensed version of Windows.  The next one will most likely be WAAS.  When that happens, I predict a massive switch to alternative OS's (like Linux).  Many Linux versions already have very nice, almost Window's like GUIs.  By that time, I also predict full inter-op libraries (IE, libraries for Linux that will allow Windows programs to run without issue).

I was wondering when you would show up.  ?

I totally agree with your last paragraph.

Edited by Mr. P

So in other words... we are fine for now til S12 comes out???  lol jk jk

23 minutes ago, PhilMassey said:

Still got my Win 7 disks, in a pinch, but I kinda doubt it will come to that.

I'm still on win 7 on all 4 computers lol

1 minute ago, GriswoldStyle said:

I'm still on win 7 on all 4 computers lol

I have eight computers and seven are still on 7. The only one that isn't is the newest one I purchased last April.

Sounds like a lot of FUD (Fear Uncertainty Doubt) at the consumer level right now.

"But if Microsoft simply leased the entire device, all feature updates and patches are tested and confirmed stable for that specific hardware set,"

Personally, I think that any recurring charges for a Windows Operating System won't start for a few years, and then even at that it would (hopefully) be at a smaller rate than we might expect. That would be a massive change for Windows. I think if the Office 365 stuff is a step in the right direction, but they are going to have to go a few more years to show people they still innovate at the Office level, so as to give Investors (and consumers) some sense of comfort they will continue to innovate at the Windows level. Otherwise, the rise of the other OS' will start.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Don said:

Sounds like a lot of FUD (Fear Uncertainty Doubt) at the consumer level right now.

"

Fueled by clickbait.

• Like 1

From what I read on those sites like posted above that started this thread and from what I read at MS itself, this is coming a lot faster than you folks think.  They will be no Windows 11, 12 or higher, it stops at 10 and that's where it's going to stay from all my reading on this subject content.  And is why my computers are still on windows 7, not only that, my systems CAN NOT RUN Windows 10!  Jokes on MS there, they tied to force it on my computer, but my computer told them in no uncertain terms, IT CAN'T RUN!     And I have also BLOCKED any further and future attempts at MS from even trying to install Windows 10 on any of my computers.

I forgot exactly how I did it, but I created a file, set it's attributes to hidden and READ only, and it has worked for quite some time now BLOCKING MS from even sending me anything to try and install it {Win 10} on my computer, which I DO NOT WANT anyway!   I'd have preferred to stick with XP, but 7 hasn't been too bad, unlike Win 95 and Win 98, worst versions of Windows I ever dealt with!

And if newer computers are forced into this, I'll strip the thing and redo it MY way, I'll be danged if I am going to pay for using my computer every month, now if MS WANTS to PAY MY ELECTRIC BILL, INTERNET COSTS, and other computer related add on costs, then maybe I'd reconsider, but I KNOW that ISN'T going to happen, and I KNOW I'm NOT going to reconsider either!   And I believe they {MS} think this is going to cut down on piracy. I doubt that, SOMEONE will find a way around this idiocy and insanity, and MS will see more piracy than they ever have in the current scheme of things.   They're just too smart{DUMB} for their own good on this one.

So nope, like others, I'm off to switch to Linux or anything that isn't going to cost me a fee every month just to use MY computer!

Well that's my .05¢ worth for today on this entire Micosoft, ridiculous mess!

I still don't think there is anything to worry about. If anything they'll do it like MS office where either you can buy a licensed copy of windows, or pay for it on a subscription base. If you pay for the licensed copy outright then it's yours for life however you won't get new features or version upgrades for free. Where as if you buy the subscription version then you'll get upgrades and new features automatically. I personally don't see them forcing everyone to pay to use their computers. They'll still make money on new installs, and their tablets.

46 minutes ago, TitusCarnathan said:

I still don't think there is anything to worry about. If anything they'll do it like MS office where either you can buy a licensed copy of windows, or pay for it on a subscription base. If you pay for the licensed copy outright then it's yours for life however you won't get new features or version upgrades for free. Where as if you buy the subscription version then you'll get upgrades and new features automatically. I personally don't see them forcing everyone to pay to use their computers. They'll still make money on new installs, and their tablets.

Didn’t work with MS Office. I purchased my  licensed copy when it first came out. Then the Army got them to us.

FFW- was extorted by Windows 10 and my disks are over rode by the new online version. My license was sup to be “forever” meaning 20 years. 

My disc set did work on the pre sale Window 10 free upgrade.

Edited by dibblejr

Aside from not having very much control over updates, Win10 seems to work fine for me. I made the mistake of leaving the WiFi on when I took the laptop out to run a show and had to wait 30 minutes before I could do anything because of a forced update.
If you plan to use a Win10 machine to run your shows, disable the Wifi before hand, turn it on and manually update at your convenience not theirs.

I only made that mistake once. Nothing will take away the cheerfulness of running a light show faster than waiting for MS to give you back control of your pc.

Alan...

16 hours ago, PhilMassey said:

Fueled by clickbait.

It's true!! Just ask anyone on FB!! Just copy this message on to your timeline and if your friends are truly friends they will copy and paste it on theirs!!  You will then be sent an email with your winnings!!  (did I cover it all)