Light-O-Rama Forums

Beat Wizard Help Needed

nmonkman

Hello:

Everyone keeps talking about how great the beat wizard is and I have been trying to figure it out. However, I must not be doing something right because it is not giving me what I want.

Previously, I would simply use the tapper, start a sequence and begin tapping out the beat. I would only do about 20-30 seconds and then stop.

Then I would apply them to my "beat track" and count the spacing and take an average. If it turned out that every tap was about 0.5 seconds or 5 spaces then I would simply put a beat mark every 5 spaces throughout the entire song. It is almost always close enough.

When I use the beat wizard it keeps putting 2, 3 or 5 marks in and I can't figure out where the exact beat hits.

Is there a way to configure the beat wizard so I get a "mark" ONLY at 0.5, 1.0, 1.5, 2.0, etc etc. ???

I hope I explained this okay

THanks

Neil "Light Engineer" Monkman

The Beat Wizard goes off the 'beats' detected in the music. If you don't want this, use the Tapper Wizard or put in your time points by time.

Note that as part of the Beat Wizard, you can double/triple/half etc the detected rate. You can also change the number of beats considered a 'measure'. This control is in the middle of the screen which comes up after the Beat Wizard analyzes the music. There is a meter which allows you to play the music and see where the time points are.

Ok, so it's not me.

I just find it easier to copy and paste multiple with the beat evenly spaced.

Thanks for the info

nm

here is how I use the Beat wizard.. i found thyat by using set .05 or .1 second intervals that these were not always correct on their timing...

so.. I use the beat wizard however i will then divide up the cells so instead of having 1 cell per beat I may have 6,8,16 etc depending on the song and what I want to do with it. .. so that way I have a similar effect of having .1 timings but these timings are on the beat of the music.... and not just timings...

I also make use of tracks for this as well.... 1 cell / beat, 2 cell / beat ,4 cell / beat etc

-Christopher

Then I would apply them to my "beat track" and count the spacing and take an average. If it turned out that every tap was about 0.5 seconds or 5 spaces

From this, it sounds to me like you're tapping into something that already includes timings evenly spaced every tenth of a second.

The Beat Wizard does not take any existing timings into account. It just sticks timings wherever it thinks a beat in the music is. So it's best to do it into a track that doesn't yet contain any timings. Putting it into a track that already contains timings every tenth of a second will probably just be muddled and confusing.

So, before giving up on the Beat Wizard, please try it out on a track without any timings in it, and see what it does.

If you still want to use evenly spaced timings, too, you can always just do that in a different track in the same sequence using the same channels (just be sure to "duplicate track" rather than manually setting the unit/circuit numbers again).

AHHHHH HAAAAAA!!!

I was opening a sequence the old fashioned way where I used timings and THEN I was trying to apply the beat wizard.

I never even noticed the ability to select the beat wizard while setting up a new sequence.

Incidentally, it worked PERFECT!!!

Thanks,

Neil