Light-O-Rama Forums

Mega Tree Parts

Illumination Station

Hello everyone, going to build a large mega tree (20-30') and want to see if I have my list together of what I need before I get the components. Does this look right to you guys? I am learning....any info is good info

1. 2 x 12 volt Pixie 16 controllers for a 32 string 100 node tree ( complete controllers with power supply and enclosure and pigtails)

2. Show Time Director ( tree must be stand alone...)

3. 32 strings WS2811 100 node

4. hardware and components to build tree

5. I have Advanced Version of the software

6. CAN I BUY A PACKAGE OF SEQUENCES JUST FOR PIXELTREES?

7.  Do i need Sequencing Suite??

8. Do I need Super Star??

Its real expensive to build just making sure I get what i need the first time...Thanks guys

6. Yes, from places like holidaysequences, holidaycoro xtremesequences and others. Note: these are for 16 strand trees, but you should be able to scale them up to 32 strands

8. If just buying sequences you might not, BUT it may be beneficial as you'll be able to make your own sequences and maybe modify the ones you've bought.

• Ensure you have enough power supply power. Looks like you will be pushing 1600 pixels (4800 channels) per controller, it will require a lot of power.

So it looks like I need about 600 watts for the 32 strings to be at my 75%... Will LOR upgrade the power supplies if I ask or do come with what ever?

Can you post what you are purchasing? 18.75 watts for each pixel string of 100 seems awefully low for WS2811, I mean even LOR's pixel strings are 15 watts for 50 pixels so that would be 30 watts per 100.

I haven’t purchased any yet. Just looking really. Have seen where alot of 12 volt strings are 27 watt per 100 node...after re reading my comment i realized i need 600 watts PER controller...i think 2/ 600 watt power supplies will do the 32 strings...

Edited by Illumination Station

That sounds a little better. Make sure you decide what lights you are purchasing first as lights differ for each vendor, then figure the pwer requirements and purchase the PS.

I agree with Mr. P,  even your revised 27 watts per string for 12V x 100 pixel strings seems very low.  36W for 50 pixels is the closest you would find as "typical", but there is a lot of variation.  I would be curious to see any strings specs that are only 27 watts for 100 pixels (I've never seen any that low).  Please post a link.

7 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

I agree with Mr. P,  even your revised 27 watts per string for 12V x 100 pixel strings seems very low.  36W for 50 pixels is the closest you would find as "typical", but there is a lot of variation.  I would be curious to see any strings specs that are only 27 watts for 100 pixels (I've never seen any that low).  Please post a link.

Jim, I think the strips are more along the lines of 36 watts due to the pixels in the segments. I have noticed that strings are a little less normally around 15-18 watts per 50. Here are some 100 count square pixels that LOR offers at 30 watts and there 50 counts are around 15 watts.

http://store.lightorama.com/12vblsqpi100.html

http://store.lightorama.com/12vgrbupi50c.html

2 hours ago, Mr. P said:

Jim, I think the strips are more along the lines of 36 watts due to the pixels in the segments. I have noticed that strings are a little less normally around 15-18 watts per 50. Here are some 100 count square pixels that LOR offers at 30 watts and there 50 counts are around 15 watts.

http://store.lightorama.com/12vblsqpi100.html

http://store.lightorama.com/12vgrbupi50c.html

I am aware that the LOR pixels are lower power than most.  I just spent a few minutes checking out other well known website that have pixels and lowest I could find for 12V x 100 WS2811 pixel strings were 70 watts.  So I suggest that the original poster include a link to what he is planning on so we can sanity check for him.

Not only will the OP have power issues, at 72 watts the Pixie can't handle 6 amps per port.

I really hate reading through the Pixie manuals as all the controllers are lumped together.

I have not measured the pixels for my Pixel Tree rebuild yet (12 volt and 100 pixels per string), but I have assumed from day one that I will be injecting power at bottom end of each strip (controller at the top).

1 hour ago, Mr. P said:

Not only will the OP have power issues, at 72 watts the Pixie can't handle 6 amps per port.

I really hate reading through the Pixie manuals as all the controllers are lumped together.

Mr. P - the pixie manuals were broken down last summer. You can find them online.

Sorry iPhone and T-Mobile in Mesquite not giving me good reception or I would find the link.

They still send the all in one manual with the controllers though.

JR

22 hours ago, OzAz said:

6. Yes, from places like holidaysequences, holidaycoro xtremesequences and others. Note: these are for 16 strand trees, but you should be able to scale them up to 32 strands

8. If just buying sequences you might not, BUT it may be beneficial as you'll be able to make your own sequences and maybe modify the ones you've bought.

SuperStar converts them easily in less time than it tooK me to post this.

JR

OP- you build the tree and get a couple Of donor sequences from me or James. As long as you have the license to run the controllers (can’t see on my phone) I will convert a couple for you to test.

I think you have to be S4- again I can’t see what version you have.

JR

8 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

Mr. P - the pixie manuals were broken down last summer. You can find them online.

Sorry iPhone and T-Mobile in Mesquite not giving me good reception or I would find the link.

They still send the all in one manual with the controllers though.

JR

They are still not broken down. If you open the Pixie16 manual you still have to read through all the Pixie4 and Pixie8 stuff as well. Granted they did post Pixie4, Pixie8 and Pixie16 manuals seperately but they are still lumped together in the manual.

5 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

They are still not broken down. If you open the Pixie16 manual you still have to read through all the Pixie4 and Pixie8 stuff as well. Granted they did post Pixie4, Pixie8 and Pixie16 manuals seperately but they are still lumped together in the manual.

Mr. P is right.  If you look at the link targets, all of them point to the same file.

1 minute ago, k6ccc said:

Mr. P is right.  If you look at the link targets, all of them point to the same file.

Exactly, it's the same manual for all of them. They just gave each Pixie its own link on the Documents page.