Light-O-Rama Forums

DMX rotating spotlights

flyinbyu20

Hello-

I’ve been using some DMX lights on my roof past few Christmas and Halloween holidays, but I have to also mount a fog machine to try to get it to show the “beam” of light. Some of the videos out there, they don’t need the fog, just powerful enough on their own. Anyone got suggestions for a product or what kind of wattage I would need to accomplish this?

thanks! 

31 minutes ago, Santas Helper said:

1.21 gagwatts ?

Gag?  Where did  leave my "Mr. Fusion"?

LOL

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

Gag?  Where did  leave my "Mr. Fusion"?

LOL

HAHA, didn't even notice. Corrected.

17 hours ago, flyinbyu20 said:

Hello-

I’ve been using some DMX lights on my roof past few Christmas and Halloween holidays, but I have to also mount a fog machine to try to get it to show the “beam” of light. Some of the videos out there, they don’t need the fog, just powerful enough on their own. Anyone got suggestions for a product or what kind of wattage I would need to accomplish this?

How powerful are the ones you're using for the holidays.

15 watt mini LED.  Obviously need to up it, but I don't know what size and power you need to get to the ones that show the beam always without the need of fog or haze.  Here is a video for a neighborhood Halloween light show I did in 2014.  At 20 seconds into it, you can start to see them more clearly.  I had to mount multiple fog machines though and the wind was always an issue....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zT3AbgzQG3s&t=3s

The ones you see that are so bright you can see them 'on their own' are usually an Arc lamp (not LED) of about 200W or more, like the Clay Paky Sharpy or Martin MACs

You may want to be sitting down with a pace maker handy before looking at the prices on this site (for example)  ?

I use a couple of moving head lights in my display, but they are mounted on a balcony, and I use them to put moving circles of colour onto the house, and occasionally pointing towards the viewers (like they do at concerts sometimes).
So once you've purchased a few Clay Paky's or similar for the roof, you can still use your current LED moving heads on the house. :)

If you watch this video (not mine) you can see an example of using 2 low power (either 60 or 90W LED Spots) moving heads shining onto a house

Wow, never thought of that idea shining back on house! Thanks!

So to get the beam on your own, you have to be in the arc lamp type of light huh. Those prices were def a shock! There isn’t something less costly that can do it, a higher watt LED light? 

Thanks for the help!!

tim 

• The topic was locked