Light-O-Rama Forums

LOR newbie

Guest guest

ok got a couple of questions...

1. for sequencing mini trees on LOR.. are they 1 channel per?(i want them chasing each other back and forth)

2. Do you have to use music or will it work without music?

3. How close to a computer should it be?

4. When is the sale comming?

Tyler

1) Well, if you have one color per tree, then you would probably want to use one channel per tree.

2) You don't have to use music. Jeff Womack, has a wonderful display with no music. (And he uses LOR.)

3) Depends, really. As of today, you need a computer connected to do a musical sequence. If you are going to do animation only, then you will not need a computer connected.

4) The sale is in April. We don't know what day, nor do we know what discounts will be offered. We do know that these will be the lowest prices of the season. Search this thread for "April LOR Sale FAQ" for more questions/answers.

Hey Tyler,

If you check out LOR's web site, go to FAQ and both tutorials as I'm sure all your questions will be answered there. As for one question, it's 1 channel per strands/group of lights. If your using 16 stands/group for a mega tree, then you would probably want to use 16 channels if you want it to chase and such.

EDIT: OOPS, stepped on Don here as he is also one of great knowledge for LOR :].

Tom

Tyler, Don is the master and he certainly is right. I used 24 channels of LOR last year. No music either. You can use it stand-alone, not connected to your computer, but it will not hold a huge sequence. With the computer, the sky is the limit. LOR is very versatile, so definitely read the FAQ.

As a blow mold aficionado, I can tell you this much, LOR is going to be used this year in a new way for my display. I'm going to make my blow molds "dance" to the music, not just my lights!

If you jump into the LOR pond, you'll never want to come out!

Does it matter how I connect the boards to one another?
In short, no. If you had five LOR boards, you could connect them in order, (1-2-3-4-5) or at random (5-2-1-4-3). So long as the boards are daisy chained together, somehow, it will work. The commands are sent to all of the boards, and they simply ignore the command that's not for them"

ok, how would i do this for stand still? because i wanted mini trees chasing each other and ill need like 5-.... boards.. so how would i make this happen?

blowmoldcolector wrote:

ok, how would i do this for stand still? because i wanted mini trees chasing each other and ill need like 5-.... boards.. so how would i make this happen?

First, let's make sure that you have your terminology correct.

Board = A LOR controller used to control Christmas lights.

Channel = Part of a controller. For example, a controller may have 16 channels on it, giving you 16 individual 'circuits' to control on that board.

What the above is referring to is how you connect the boards together. If you have the boards assigned channels 1-5, you don't have to connect the boards in the order.

Obviously, your mini trees would need to be connected to the correct board and channel in order to work. How do you know which one? You define this in the sequence editor. Right click on a channel, and look at your options.