Light-O-Rama Forums

Question about fading lights

JimCanfield

I was able to run a 16 channel light show for a birthday today using 1 16 channel controller (the ctb16pc that I has soldered) and sixteen channels with 1 100 light strand on each. I must say that the controllers and the software worked AWESOME!!! The only thing I noticed was that channels 8-16 would fade faster than channels 1-8. They would come on together then 8-16 faded at a faster rate. One point in the song I had a series of fades where all 16 channels came on @ 100 percent then fade to 0, then repeat 3 times. The first set came on at the same time, but then it got off after that because of the different fading rates. Is this common?

second question is: were these LED's or incandescents?

LED's sometimes fade funny, depending on how many are on the channel. 'Terminators' often help. Check out www.crazylightlady.us for a great How-To.

Also I used both power cords from the unit and plugged them into two different outlets but I do not know if they were from different breakers or not. It was a cubicle I was decorating so I have no clue what all was being run off those outlets. Would that make a difference?

I was not concerned about using 2 different outlets only drawing about 5 and 1/3 amps

Jim,

I know this sounds dumb, but are you absolutely certain the timings for the fades are identical? I put a few things together for a mini-sneak-preview for some friends last weekend and I had the same issue on one of the songs. When I went back to investigate, I discovered that athough they looked okay to the eye, when I placed the cursor over the events, the timings of a couple channels in different tracks were off by .02 - .03 seconds. In my case, I think this happened because I was using the beat wizard and had subdivided the timings into a different number of segments for each of the tracks (one was divided by seven and the other had timings divided by eight). A difference of .03 second might not sound like much but it was very visible.

George

There is a risk when plugging into a cubicle environment that you might wind up on two separate phases of a three phase Y system, where the power could be 120 degrees out of phase, instead of the 0 and 180 degrees that LOR allows on the two inlets..

However, I would expect the issues to be much more noticeable and strange than what you experienced... I would second checking your sequences...

- Kevin

Jim,

At 5.3 amps what does the show do at home plugged into your outlet, even if both plugs are in the same outlet.

I believe that Kevin has hit the nail on the head. With the difference in power systems. Over my years on the boards there has been several discussions about the 3 phase 208/120 power and the need to make sure both plugs of a controller are on the same phase for the reason of fading. There was some rather lengthy talk about this with a detail explaination.

Chuck

I have not tried it at home yet, was going to do that this weekend. I double and triple checked the timings, and even made a simple animated sequence (not musical) and it still did it. I am thinking in may be the triple phase like Chuck stated. I will try it at home Saturday and then let you all know.