Light-O-Rama Forums

Someone Please Help

Wraith

Just got my new CTB16PC Controller in the mail today, I'm so exited I feel like a kid on Christmas morning opening up my presents. But then there was a problem. My PC would not communicate with my CTB16PC controller. I have read the user manual and have installed my SC485 (PC serial port adapter). The LED lights up and blinks on the controller but when I go to the Hardware Utility and hit the Auto Configure button, I keep getting this pop up window. It reads Port Not Found ------ Unable to locate the Light-O-Rama port Check that controller is connected and that it is powered on.

I'm new to the LOR world of fun ,but looking to brighten up the neighborhood this year.

Please can anyone help

Wraith wrote:

Just got my new CTB16PC Controller in the mail today, I'm so exited I feel like a kid on Christmas morning opening up my presents. But then there was a problem. My PC would not communicate with my CTB16PC controller. I have read the user manual and have installed my SC485 (PC serial port adapter). The LED lights up and blinks on the controller but when I go to the Hardware Utility and hit the Auto Configure button, I keep getting this pop up window. It reads Port Not Found ------ Unable to locate the Light-O-Rama port Check that controller is connected and that it is powered on.

I'm new to the LOR world of fun ,but looking to brighten up the neighborhood this year.

Please can anyone help

I have had an issue where Auto wont find it. Try Manuel selecting each one in the Pull down and see if 1 works.

Harrison

Try setting the address in the hardware utility

use the "Any unit" under the existing ID

make sure only one controller is attached at a time.

I've had conflicts when I've had the sequence editor running at the same time as trying to use the hardware utility.

George

Hey Wraith. I see you live in Fenton only 10 miles from me in Des Peres.

If you still are having trouble this weekend, we could talk on the phone or visit if needed. My suggestion is to look at the device manager panel and verify your usb to serial device is working and what port it is using. Good Luck.

Just as a note. It has been said that NOT all usb/serial adapters will work with LOR. I know it was suggested that if going this route to get the adapter from LOR. Personally I have one I purchase and it works fine. I have heard more than one instance where they have not.

Just something else to keep in the back of you head for reference.

I to am in the area and can lend a hand if need be.

Chuck

What Bob-O says about verifying the Comm Port is correct. The LOR software only works with Comm Ports 1 through 10. So if your adaptor is on 11 or higher, the software will not see it.

Depending on your Operating System, the way that you verify and change your comm port varies.

Steve

if you don't mind

Just a Quick question on this COM port, does all USB devices
make a com port in XP under Device manager or does only some

thanks

Jeff

Jeff 1S.A.H.D. wrote:

if you don't mind

Just a Quick question on this COM port, does all USB devices
make a com port in XP under Device manager or does only some

thanks

Jeff

Hi Jeff, yes, all com ports should show up under your Device Manager under Ports (COM & LPT). See attached image for example.

Steve

Attached files 155181=8943-commports.jpg

So... the USB X10 device that I have should show up ??

http://www.thehomeautomationstore.com/sw31a-cm15a.html

under Device Manager under Ports and if it doesn't will
the USB LOR controller work using USB485 adapter

http://store.lightorama.com/uscoad.html

and how do you fix it I have XP SP2 ( SP3 has been crashing a lot of computers)

And sorry for jumping into the mid of your post WRAITH

Jeff
here is a pic of the USB X10 plug in ???

Attached files 155185=8946-X10.JPG

Hi Jeff, I don't know much about X10, but it appears that the unit you are referring to is actually a USB controller instead of a serial adapter. USB Controllers do not show up under the Ports section of the Device Manager because they are not required to use a USB to Serial or USB to Parallel conversion. It is the serial and parallel communications of the days of old that require the port numbers.

It looks like this controller that you are using is merely an extension of the USB Controller in your PC so it is showing up in the right place. It's the same as hooking up a USB HUB to your computer to obtain more ports.

The LOR USB485 adapter will show up under Ports (Com & LPT). You shouldn't run into any problems using both of these units provided that you have enough open Com Ports. The LOR II software will only work with com ports 1 through 10 so once you install the adapter just make sure it falls within this range.

It sounds to me like your straight and everything should work happily together.

Hope this helps.

Steve

Steve,

To say that LOR will ONLY work with comm ports 1-10 is not totally true. The hardware utility will not find them outside of that range, but if you manually select the comm port it will work. I know, I had that situation in the past and it worked just fine. I believe at some point Dan stated that would be corrected as well.

Chuck

Hi Chuck,

I digress, I started out on the Autoconfig feature and went off on a tangent I suppose.:dude: You are correct that the drop down will work but I had initial issues with that as well, which led me off on that tangent.

When I first installed the LOR II software and the USB485 adapter picked up on Comm 11. The drop down box stopped at 10 and would not allow me to select anything beyond that.

I have since noticed while goofing around with the controllers that if I set the USB485 to a port number like 20, then the Comm 20 port will show up in the software drop down box. I also noticed at one point if I had it at Comm 11, the autoconfig found it on 11. Autoconfig did not find it on 20 as it stopped at 10 because I was no longer using 11.

So here is what it looks like to me. It looks like the Autoconfig will automatically scan up to comm port 10 regardless. If it sees open ports in succession after 10, ie. 11,12,13,14 then it will keep going. If it does not see anything after 10, it stops completely, or at least when it runs into a closed port it stops.

Sound about right?

Steve