Light-O-Rama Forums

Help with RGB star

Lighted Christmas Balls

Hello all, I am new to the world of E1.31 and have purchased a 16 strand pixel tree which have have learned how to program and output through my LOR SE into my sequences with no issues. I wanted to add a RGB star, and purchased a 200 pixel RBG star (5 concentric stars, 20, 30, 40, 50 ,60) from Brian Bruderer of superstar lights which stated needed 200 RGB lights. I also purchased am E1.31 4 output controller from holiday coro alphapix 4, to run it. I am having a hard time wrapping my head around how to output the data. Brian has a template for his star to use in superstar to program, and it outputs 1 rgb channel for each  of the 5 concentric stars. My controller has 4 outputs, and I am looking for some advice on how to set up the controller and how to set it up in the SE of LOR to add it to my already completed sequences with the pixel tree. My tree controller had 16 outputs, so it was easy, each output, was 1 universe 16 strands, 16 universes easy peazy and i have programmed with xlights, and superstar for different effects but this star has me stumped. I want to figure this out before I assemble the star as I have to glue each node into its hole and i only want to do it after i have it all correct. I have 2 100 pixel rgb strands to start with, but didnt know how to set up the universes, and trying to see if i can not have to cut the strands too much, I was thinking the 20, 30, and 40(total 90) on 1 universe, and the 50 and 60 on another universe, but... any advice would be apprecated

I can’t help you with specifics of the AlphaPix, but I can help you with E1.31 and Pixel stars in SuperStar as I have been doing that for six years.  Likely best is to get you on the phone.  I see you are a couple hours ahead of me.  Best time for me is starting at 5:30 Pacific time (when I get onto my train) or after 7:15 (after dinner).  I’ll PM my number to you.

2 hours ago, Lighted Christmas Balls said:

Hello all, I am new to the world of E1.31 and have purchased a 16 strand pixel tree which have have learned how to program and output through my LOR SE into my sequences with no issues. I wanted to add a RGB star, and purchased a 200 pixel RBG star (5 concentric stars, 20, 30, 40, 50 ,60) from Brian Bruderer of superstar lights which stated needed 200 RGB lights. I also purchased am E1.31 4 output controller from holiday coro alphapix 4, to run it. I am having a hard time wrapping my head around how to output the data. Brian has a template for his star to use in superstar to program, and it outputs 1 rgb channel for each  of the 5 concentric stars. My controller has 4 outputs, and I am looking for some advice on how to set up the controller and how to set it up in the SE of LOR to add it to my already completed sequences with the pixel tree. My tree controller had 16 outputs, so it was easy, each output, was 1 universe 16 strands, 16 universes easy peazy and i have programmed with xlights, and superstar for different effects but this star has me stumped. I want to figure this out before I assemble the star as I have to glue each node into its hole and i only want to do it after i have it all correct. I have 2 100 pixel rgb strands to start with, but didnt know how to set up the universes, and trying to see if i can not have to cut the strands too much, I was thinking the 20, 30, and 40(total 90) on 1 universe, and the 50 and 60 on another universe, but... any advice would be apprecated

You have 200 bulbs. Run 100 builds off a universe so that will be 2 universes on your Alphapix 4.

But 1 universe will have 90 nodes(23, 30, 40) and the other 110 nodes?

10 minutes ago, Lighted Christmas Balls said:

Thats not a problem for the Alphapix. I have tested 170 bulbs off 1 universe with no issues.

Just go into the setup and tell the Alphapix universe 1 is 90 bulbs and universe 2 is 110

I had to do this with my Pixel Spinner and Ghosts.

Edited by gsmith37064

Just put the 40 and the 60 on 1 universe and on second universe put the 20 ,30,and 50  it's the start channels that determine where there located on the prop .

7 minutes ago, Lighted Christmas Balls said:

Not a problem with any pixel controller that I know of.

I see , I didnt even consider or think of putting the concentric rings not in order that makes so much sense now!

In reality, you can put the pixels in any order that you want - as long as your channel layout and/or visualization match reality.  In the case of my star, I have rings 1 & 6 (70 + 20) on  one output (universe 27), rings 2 & 5 (60 + 30) on the second (universe 28), and rings 3 & 4 (50 + 40) on the third (universe 29).  In that case, the three outputs are the same total number of pixels per output, but it does not matter.

Note that if those are 5V pixels, assume that you will need power injection on each string.  Less likely with 12V pixels unless you get much over 100 pixels.

I have 12 volt, what I dont have is a good visualization file for the star,  the one I downloaded from  Brian Bruderer is made for a lor output so if you know of 1 that I can use it would be helpful

Are you using S5 very easy to make a nested star or in pixel editor in S4 

Edited by Dennis Laff

I'm using s4 and haven't used pe, have used superstar and xlights , I will look at pe thanks

I could strip off the outermost star from my S4 visualization and send you a S4 Visualizer prop file easily enough.

That would be great. How about we start with that and with the other suggestions I got on the forum I have a better idea what I need to do to build the star, with the pixel strands I have, if I have more questions, can I pm you then?