Light-O-Rama Forums

My PC's and LOR2

Gremler

For the last couple years I have been sequencing LOR1 with a Dell, 1.8 GHZ, P4 with 640 MB RAM and a RADEON 9200 SE AGP Video card with XP PRO OS, the results have always been smooth, with no jerkiness.

I use an old Compaq Armada M700, P2, 365 MHZ, 244MB RAM, Laptop with XP Home OS to play the show, and it has for the last couple years run the show just fine, no issues at all, perfectly smooth.

When LOR 2 came out late last year, since my Halloween show was working fine, I decided not to upgrade and wait til this year (since it was all working anyway).

I upgraded to LOR2 many months ago and have been sequencing on the Dell. While sequencing the video has not been perfectly smooth (it has some jerkiness), but still do-able (Yes, I know a faster computer would be better, but I am not willing to to spend the bucks for now).

Some of the LOR 2 features do make sequencing easier, but I am not ready to say the sequences are better (I'm starting to think the manual sequencing method of LOR 1 is a more personal representation of one's feeling's).

It has previously been stated that LOR 1 while playing a show does not use a lot of computer resource's, which is evident to me when playing shows on my P2 Laptop.

My question is - Since LOR2 sequences cannot be played on LOR 1, If I install LOR 2 on the Compaq, when I play LOR 1 or LOR 2 sequences will the shows smooth? Or will I have to upgrade the show PC?

If so, no can do, I will have to revert back to LOR 1.

Thanks

Bill

P.S. Maybe I should have asked this question a couple months ago.

That's surprising - typically LOR 2 should be smoother than LOR 1.

Some people have had problems when they're displaying the waveform. If you typically run with the waveform on, could you please try turning it off, and letting me know whether that helps or not?

Could you please send me a copy of a sequence that you're having this problem on?

Thanks.

Also, do you have "hardware acceleration" turned on or off for your machine's graphics card?

To check:

1. Right click in an empty space on your machine's desktop.

2. Select "Properties" from the popup menu.

3. Select the "Settings" tab.

4. Click the "Advanced" button.

5. Click the "Troubleshoot" tab.

"Hardware acceleration" should be there, as a slider. What is it set to?

If it is set to anything but "None", could you please try changing it to "None", and seeing if that helps? You might have to reboot after changing it, I'm not sure.

Thanks.

The audio plays fine, it is the displays that stops and it does it with the waveform on or off.

Back to the orginal question, will the P2 play the shows?

Thanks

Bill

I don't know why it wouldn't, but I don't know why you're having the problem in the first place, either.

In general, the Show Player is less resource-intensive than the Sequence Editor.

Do you have the animation window open or not? If open, what happens if you close it?

What options do you have checked in the Play menu? "Control Lights", "Control Holiday Lights Designer", "Move Grid with Play", et cetera?

When you say "the video has not been perfectly smooth" and "it is the displays that stops", do you mean the sequence's window - the thing you click on to say to turn lights on and off - or are you actually talking about a video - i.e. you're playing a sequence based on a video file instead of an audio file?

How many channels in the sequence?

Could you please send me a copy of a sequence that you're having this problem on?

Yes to all the above, and thanks Bob, I should have checked - Control lights, move grid with play, Vary color of channel button, Highlight current event and time were all checked.

I need the Move Grid with play and the animation wizard, but for now it seems to be running smoother.

I will play with it more tonight and let you know.

Thanks again.

Bill

By turning off everything but the Move Grid with Play and the Animation Wizard it does run smoother, however I have noticed one thing, when I select Play Visible screen at the end it replays the audio from the beginning of the visible screen!!!

Any thoughts.

Also every time the LOR is restarted, I have to deselect the before mentioned options.

Bill

By turning off everything but the Move Grid with Play and the Animation Wizard it does run smoother, however I have noticed one thing, when I select Play Visible screen at the end it replays the audio from the beginning of the visible screen!!! Any thoughts.

Do you mean it plays what you expect, but then instead of stopping after that, it immediately plays a split-second from the start of the range again, and then stops? If so, this is a known bug that we're trying to figure out. What version of Windows Media Player do you have? What operating system?

If you mean something else, please explain again.

Also every time the LOR is restarted, I have to deselect the before mentioned options.

Try setting them via "Edit/Preferences/Play Preferences".

bob wrote:

Do you mean it plays what you expect, but then instead of stopping after that, it immediately plays a split-second from the start of the range again, and then stops?

Yep, exactly

XP service pack 3, and what ever the latest and greatest Windows Media Player is (I played a couple videos trying to find the version and it don't tell me:( .

Thanks again Bob

latest and greatest Windows Media Player is (I played a couple videos trying to find the version and it don't tell me

Please start up WMP, without playing a video or anything, then click on the "Help" menu, and then the "About Windows Media Player" menu item. It should say the version there. For example, mine says "Version: 11.0.5721.5230".

Thanks.

bob wrote:

Please start up WMP, without playing a video or anything, then click on the "Help" menu, and then the "About Windows Media Player" menu item. It should say the version there. For example, mine says "Version: 11.0.5721.5230".

Thanks.

Bob

Funny thing is there is no help menu :(

and Yes, that is strange.

Hi

If you right click on a blank part of the top menu bar of media player, you get a drop down menu where one of the items is "help". This then gives a further menu of help items one of which is "äbout media player" - Click here to get version number.

Mine gives 11.0.6001.7000

Regards - Geoff