Light-O-Rama Forums

Best method to video display

Sctiger

I found it very difficult to try and video my display. Unless I hire a drone cameraman, what methods have y'all employed to best capture your display. My display is just too wide. I'd have to stand on my neighbor's porch to capture it! ?

Edited by Sctiger

I have a drone but I also video with my phone ( Galaxy Note 8) on a tripod. Takes great video... I would ask your neighbor if you could film from their porch. 

Mine is also quite wide and there is a tree that makes even the drone method not work well...  I have not done that much with shooting video of my display, but several years ago a friend shot it from four locations and edited it together.  Take a look at the first video on:

http://newburghlights.org/Videos.html

• Like 1

Very nice camera work and editing too! Awesome display! I tried taking video from the car, on a tripod with the external speakers turned way up.? I give up! Lol

My first year [2016] I used my Samsung J3 phone just holding it while the temperature outside was 17 degrees, not fun. 2017 I bought a drone and filmed it from sitting in my van with the heat on, much better. I can't get my whole display in one view either.

Tom

I too have a wide, low house, so I shoot from across the street and from left and right closer in. I put the camera on a tripod and leave it running unattended for the whole show, about 2 hrs, if the battery holds up, with a small radio playing just so I can hear which songs are playing. Then I edit it all up into separate songs and replace the audio with the original audio file. 

I'm not an expert, but, for me, the camera lens was the key to capturing the full width of my yard. I used a Canon Rebel T6 with a Canon Macro Lens EF 100mm 1:2.8. to record New Years Eve 2017. This is certainly not the inexpensive way to go but I love this camera because it works in all kinds of weird situations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpcu2iwqkhY