Light-O-Rama Forums

Speaker activation

Meegan

I was wondering if anyone has set up something along the lines of a small platform where people step up and can activate the speakers? I was thinking of utilizing an old Halloween pressure mat prop inline with the audio so that when they stepped up, the music would play. Anyone willing to share ideas of what they did along these lines? I get a little traffic nightly, but lotsa neighbors and their kids in the neighborhood who like to walk. I would like to set something up for this reason. Ideas?

thanks

allen

Are you wanting to trigger the show or just turn on the speakers that will play the current program?

Use a double pole double throw relay (or a 4 pole double throw for simpler). and a PIR (motion detector) or mat to operate the relay.

You will also need 2 16ohm 10W resistors to provide a dummy load for the amp, when the relay is de energized. Amps really should not really be run with no load.

4 pole: speakers connect to the NO contacts, resistors to the NC contacts and the amp to the C contacts

The coil is operated by the mat or PIR

Thanks for the feedback!

I would love to make it interactive down the road but for now I was thinking of having it simply activate a set of speakers so the neighbors (or passers by) could listen to the current selection. 

? but now you’ve got me thinking interactive,  and there is time for me to look at that. 

Meegan, my year round landscaping show is highly interactive, so if you need some help, feel free to ask.

There are lots of ways to turn on the speakers with a button or sensor.

Thank you sir. I may just take you up on that. Takedown happening Jan 6. When I pack it away and clear the bench, this may be just the project to work on this year. Sounds like a fun project

• The topic was locked