Light-O-Rama Forums

Two weeks into the hobby, just got first stitches

hoosierdoc

I was stripping insulation from a cable and jabbed my left thumb with a knife. Ugh. About a 3.5cm lac, bled briskly.

had to hit the ER for stitches. I happen to be an ER doc and went to where I work :D

i wired my whole basement in a home we built and narry a nick. Strip a little cable and BAM!

it's not that bad.... ppl DO look when I show up with a coffee table or a bookcase and the middle finger on my left hand missing............ Lights are a lot safer.. you still have all your fingers.

1 hour ago, hoosierdoc said:

I was stripping insulation from a cable and jabbed my left thumb with a knife. Ugh. About a 3.5cm lac, bled briskly.

had to hit the ER for stitches. I happen to be an ER doc and went to where I work :D

i wired my whole basement in a home we built and narry a nick. Strip a little cable and BAM!

I have used  one of these for years (30+)

http://www.techtoolsupply.com/Paladin-Stripax-Universal-Wire-Stripper-10-28-AWG-p/1113.htm

For small gauge, like LED strings, you can even strip all 3 leads at once. Yhere is a depth stop you can set as well as insulation thickness (mostly set mid point)

14 hours ago, hoosierdoc said:

I was stripping insulation from a cable and jabbed my left thumb with a knife. Ugh.

I happen to be an ER doc and went to where I work :D

Well that sucks.....I'm guessing you had head of the line privileges at the ER? :)

13 hours ago, hoosierdoc said:

About a 3.5cm lac, bled briskly.

Ouch!

13 hours ago, hoosierdoc said:

had to hit the ER for stitches. I happen to be an ER doc and went to where I work 

I'm not sure which is worse - cutting yourself, or having to go to your own ER for treatment :)

• Haha 2

Heh, the cut is by far worse. It's my third trip there as a patient this year. I went into afib three times in last 18 months so I ended up getting an ablation done to fix it, but they hit the nerve to my diaphragm. This has slowed me down a lot but should come back in time. The blood thinners I'm on made that cut fun.

I do need to buy a stripping tool. I have wire strippers but nothing for cable, and that's what got me.

Edited by hoosierdoc

• The topic was locked