Light-O-Rama Forums

Help selecting a FM Tranmitter

Scrubs63

T34 Flyer wrote:

If you are going to invest in a transmitter to use for years, I would look into the Ramsey FM100B.

The FM100B is a good unit, but isn't it a bit of overkill for a Christmas Display? Unless you are going to use it for transmissions other than your display music (I think it might be good for 'live' transmissions requiring a microphone), it would seem that the 25B Ramsey or the EDM would be a more practical choice.

Here's my two cents worth... I bought a gold edition Whole House model this spring and was extremely disappointed. I could get reception on only one radio in the house and in the car in the driveway no more than twenty feet from the antenna it sounded like a distant station fading in and out. Granted, I only used it with the supplied antenna, but I thought I'd at least be able to get decent reception inside the house, specifically in the next room, so I could run a couple of speakers out the window from my home stereo system. Wrong...

I ordered an EDM model and got it last week. I finally got time tonight to put it together. It took about 45 minutes (and I probably could have done it in half that time if I knew what I was doing) to "assemble" and test. Works great, even with only the whip antenna that was included!

By the way, that open frequency locator site gave me a list of eight "excellent" frequency options, all of which were homes to strong FM stations. It returned another ten "good" choices and nine of them had stations loud and clear on those frequencies. Perhaps they need to update their database. I guess the bottom line is that you need to sit in the car and click through the FM range to find the best frequency. I actually found half a dozen from which to choose and none of them were on the locator sites list.

George Simmons

George, I'm glad things finally worked out for you!

I think the worst aspect of the whole house transmtter is the lack of FM frequencies you can use. I've heard its decent otherwise, but I wasn't surprised to hear the range was far less than the EDM.

Did you see my link on how to assemble the EDM LCD ?
http://planetchristmas.mywowbb.com/forum6/22473.html

I think the FM100B is a great unit ... but (as has been mentioned many times before) for that price, you could buy the EDM LCD + a real 4 channel mixer + a DSP1424P signal processor. So the FM100B is a great all-in-one unit, but for the money, you could get a lot more for the money buying individual componants that offer a lot more than a simple build in mixer and line level control.

I know some members are doing the live DJ thing, but most probably aren't ... it would be pretty cool to see, I think.

George Simmons wrote:

By the way, that open frequency locator site gave me a list of eight "excellent" frequency options, all of which were homes to strong FM stations. It returned another ten "good" choices and nine of them had stations loud and clear on those frequencies. Perhaps they need to update their database. I guess the bottom line is that you need to sit in the car and click through the FM range to find the best frequency. I actually found half a dozen from which to choose and none of them were on the locator sites list.

George Simmons

I have also had this problem with the website that finds blank stations, I think its best if you just turn through the dial on several of your home radios (every amercan on average has ~4) And make note of what blank choices you have.

Scrubs63 wrote:

Hi Folks,

I was hoping someone could help me in selecting my FM Transmitter.:? I have read about the Whole House Tranmitter and the Ramsey FM25B.

A couple years ago I bought one of those "Whole House Transmitters" and though it was a piece of junk. In my case it was more like a "Whole Garage Transmitter". I ended up using a Ramsey for the last couple of years and it has worked well for me. There are many good choices out there.