Light-O-Rama Forums

Network switch

jkrezdorn

Hi folks, new  here. I have the LOR pixel tree 16x25. I am going to run the show from the basement. My question is, can I use a powered network switch for LOR only? I would like to run a wire to a location I  can do programming from to see prop and eventually props and then return the laptop to the basement. All cat5 e will be into the switch. 

Edited by jkrezdorn

Lor has to be run in a linear configuration in other words daisy chained from one controller to another. However, the controllers do not have to be in numerical order so the order doesn't matter. You could start the cableing from the basement and order the controllers so the last is connected where you can connect  your laptop at the end. When finished what you are wanting to do you can disonnect the laptop and move it to the basement, the beginning.

• Thanks 1

Most LOR controllers use a form of Serial RS485, not Ethernet.

The only common thing is the use CAT5 cable because it is easy to come by (and is pretty good for signals)

While I usually detest 'couplers', you might use 2 cables and the coupler to your work location.  RS485 is supposed to be good for 4000'. A back link from the basement sould not strain that

2 hours ago, Mr. P said:

Lor has to be run in a linear configuration in other words daisy chained from one controller to another. However, the controllers do not have to be in numerical order so the order doesn't matter. You could start the cableing from the basement and order the controllers so the last is connected where you can connect  your laptop at the end. When finished what you are wanting to do you can disonnect the laptop and move it to the basement, the beginning.

Awesome. For now the beginning is the end. I can just run 2 cat5e's to the pixel tree. When I add more controllers just do as you suggest.  I plan on house outlining,  starting in the spring along with another 25x16 pixel tree and my wife said she wants a bigger tree, so I  guess  I will build a mega tree about 10to 12 feet tall for next year.

1 hour ago, TheDucks said:

Most LOR controllers use a form of Serial RS485, not Ethernet.

The only common thing is the use CAT5 cable because it is easy to come by (and is pretty good for signals)

While I usually detest 'couplers', you might use 2 cables and the coupler to your work location.  RS485 is supposed to be good for 4000'. A back link from the basement sould not strain that

Thanks, I was  wondering about a punch down block like used in phone systems. 

47 minutes ago, jkrezdorn said:

Thanks, I was  wondering about a punch down block like used in phone systems. 

Do not Branch RS485.  Daisy chain only

13 hours ago, TheDucks said:

Do not Branch RS485.  Daisy chain only

Awesome Thanks. I will do as suggested above using the second jack in controller and just switch the laptop when needed. When I add more controllers I will take laptop Cat5 to the end of second controller.

• The topic was locked