Light-O-Rama Forums

Guidance on SuperStar SS Import Visualization MATRIX

kevinob

Hi all - attached is the 14x14 Matrix visualization I am importing into SuperStar ... for the intent of taking advantage of the Instant Sequence feature for 'classic' christmas songs.... I am struggling with understanding the settings that show up on Import Visualization. Sequencing Grid Max Length and Max Detection Lines.... and wondering if all that even matters  or if my issue is around TCM and Timing Map.  (Matrix is made up of two 98 Pixel strings... and are setup correctly in visualizer in terms of channels/etc I believe)

If this were your Viz, what would be the Sequencing Grid Max Length and Max Detection Lines you would use? My logic is not prevailing as I read the help information. I feel like in a 14x14 grid I could set the grid at 14 and the detection lines at 14 and that would give me 14 TCM Rows to deal with. I'm sure I have flawed logic throughout there... but in any case I'm stuck. I can make it work with bigger settings but don't understand the impact on the TCM rows that are made available... 

My ultimate goal was to kind of do a VU meter thing ,but  I can't make sense of the effects of the settings I'm choosing upon import. I'll take any advice available! I guess I don't get why the sequencing grid would be different than the SS Visualization so my brain is kind of locked. No need to unlock my brain though if you have a good idea, I'll run with it....

Bottom line: What would you do for a 14x14 matrix in terrms of import into/ setup in SuperStar?  The matrix rgb lights are within an 8 foot x 8 foot coro 'painting' of Charlie Brown and Snoopy on the front of my garage. 

Good News is that apart from this I've figured out Pixel Editor just fine and have some very cool things happening there. Thanks in advance for any thoughts you have.

Thanks, Kevin

MatrixOnly2017.lee

Do the strings in each matrix run vertically or horizontally?

The sequencing grid "Max Length" is the length of the green sequencing grid. In your case you would want that set to be at least 14

The detection line setting will not matter.

The first thing to verify is that after importing the visualization into superstar, click on some of the squares in the green sequencing grid and make sure the corresponding lights in the display light up.

As for the number of rows in Instant Sequence, it should be equal to the number of rows you see in the sequencing grid.

Also, what version of the software are you running?

Thanks@Brian B.

Thanks for your reply. As I read over, here are the answers to your questions:

• Strings run vertical. Start lower left and snake. each string is 7 columns that are 14 lights "tall".
  • If I set Max Length to 14.... (or any other number less than 68) then it throws 2 error prompts: (1) "Max Number of 64 rows exceeded...." then (2) "Failed to add RGB pixel [65] in Device....
  • I am running 4.3.14 .... haven't gotten around to upgrading to latest 4.x but will be happy to if that helps at all...
  • in terms of the 'corresponding lights' and clicking them I think that's where my mind bends... the layout of the sequencing grid looks funky to me (probably cuz I have to set max to 68 to make it not error) so I'm not certain if I should be concerned or not... 

please attach the visualization file and I will take a look at it. The visualization file will end with .lee and should be at:

c:/ (your lightorama folder) / Visualizations / Editor

Hi Brian - Awesome and thanks! It's at the end of the first post in this thread "MatrixOnly2017.lee" is right at the end of the post. I'd post it again but I'm at my attachment size limit. 

Let me know and I'll repost if for some reason you can't see it.

I had to play around with this for a while. I first imported your visualization and got strange results as well.

So I made the visualization myself. I made the left half, and then I copied that and pasted it into the visualizer. When I imported into superstar, the left half looked good but the right half was messed up. I tried several things but couldn't fix it.

Then I deleted the right half and made it from scratch using the matrix wizard. I imported into superstar and it imported just fine.

So it looks like there is something about copy/paste of a matrix in the visualizer that makes it so things don't import properly into superstar. Attached is the visualization.

MatrixOnly2017_fromBrian.lee