Light-O-Rama Forums

Conputer for L.O.R

Guest guest

I see the min. requirements are for a 400mhz, 128 ram computer to run LOR. My question: will using a 450mhz p2 win98 be pushing the edge? Will I still be able to do minor stuff on my computer at the same time as LOR is running or am I pushing the envelope here? Thanks mucho! (come on april!):)

Hi Spike,

The question is rather subjective, but here it goes. I have two machines for LOR. One is my "development" machine and the other is a "show" machine"

The development machine is 2Ghz machine with a gig of RAM and a high end video card in it. Why the horsepower? Well I found when I was editing my sequences that the video couldnt keep up and the whole system felt clunky and slow. I couldnt move and edit at the pace I wanted. So I built the bigger machine.

The Show machine is the machine I replaced. When running in show mode (i.e. no sequence editor) it runs like a champ. My show machine is roughly equivilent to the one you describe. It really does not take a lot of horsepower to run the production show. Your machine should do just fine when come display time.

If you were to do any upgrade to it at all, I would recommend a video upgrade. Others may offer different advice so take it all in and make your best informed decision.

Good luck and Happy Lighting..

Bob

Yea, I'm the same way. I do development on either my desktop (dual p4x 2.2) or laptop (athlon64 3200+) and don't have a problem. However, the show runs off of my "Homeless" system - an assemblage of spare parts housed in a cardboard box with a plastic bag clip for a power button. It boasts an old Via Cyrix C3 processor running at 800Mhz, 256 Ram, and an older 16 meg ATI video card. The dualie runs XP Pro, (I've got to get rid of that OS, I despise it). The other two run Windows 2000.

Actually, and even more pertinent to your question, I was also successful on running it on the old laptop as well, doing some in-field testing. That's even lower than the reccomended specs - it's a P2 333 with 128 Ram, either 4mb or 8mb onboard video and Windows 98. Its a little clunky in the editor, but as far as running the show, she's just fine. (Why didn't I just use my other laptop? Well... it doesn't exactly have a serial port...)

I use and old PII 266 MH machine with 64meg of memory without any problems. I made sure I reformatted it and put the bare minimum of stuff on it so it would run with out bogging down.

James