Light-O-Rama Forums

When to do a firmware update for the UmP3g3

tvweather62

Hey there,

This is probably a dumb question, but how would I know whether or not to do a firmware update on the Mini Director?  I purchased unopened Showtime Central, but I don't know how old it is....so not sure which version is running.

If I have to update the firmware, how do I go about this process?  I have to buy additional cables....not ethernet...is this correct?

Thanks!

If you come across a time that something doesn't work as expected, and you've determined that the only thing left to check is the firmware, then consider an update.

Until that time, don't worry about it.

22 minutes ago, Don said:

If you come across a time that something doesn't work as expected, and you've determined that the only thing left to check is the firmware, then consider an update.

Until that time, don't worry about it.

The unit was purchased last year.  I bought it new on Ebay.  Would you think the firmware would be ok?  It arrives later tonight....thanks!

6 minutes ago, tvweather62 said:

The unit was purchased last year.  I bought it new on Ebay.  Would you think the firmware would be ok?  It arrives later tonight....thanks!

Just use it and if everything works properly then don't mess with it. If something doesn't work then update it.

You know the old saying, "If it ain't broke don't fix it".

35 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

Just use it and if everything works properly then don't mess with it. If something doesn't work then update it.

You know the old saying, "If it ain't broke don't fix it".

Will do....but if it DOES need an upgrade....I believe I'll have to buy special cable from LOR.  Is this correct? (It's not an ethernet cable...so it seems.  Just looked on you tube.)

20 minutes ago, tvweather62 said:

Will do....but if it DOES need an upgrade....I believe I'll have to buy special cable from LOR.  Is this correct? (It's not an ethernet cable...so it seems.  Just looked on you tube.)

You would need one of the RS485 adapters which are available in the LOR store.

http://store.lightorama.com/accessories.html

1 minute ago, tvweather62 said:

Do you know which one?  There are several in this link.  Thanks so much!!!

Personally I would get the USB485HS as this one is future proof. If in the future you add to your show this adapter is required for high speed but will work on all LOR networks.

http://store.lightorama.com/usbrs485hs.html

4 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

Personally I would get the USB485HS as this one is future proof. If in the future you add to your show this adapter is required for high speed but will work on all LOR networks.

http://store.lightorama.com/usbrs485hs.html

Thank you so much!!