Light-O-Rama Forums

Software will not talk to Hardware, Frustration has set in!

Obejohnknobe

I am trying to set the IDs on my Pixies 4, 8 and 16 using LOR software 4.3.24Pro.  There are 2-Pixie4 cards, 1-Pixie8 card and 2-Pixie16 cards.The software was able to set the ID on the Pixie 16 with no issues and was able to do a test on the card, as well as the LOR Hardware Utility (HU) and was able to do a purchased sequence with the LED pixel lights.  I have not tried the other Pixie 16 due to the other cards giving me so much grief. When it comes to the Pixie 4s and 8, I get weird issues with the software such as the Hardware Utility will not work or it will not recognize the comm port.  I was able to find both on the forums and LOR website how to correct the problems, upgrade to 4.3.24Pro (had problems with HU locking up with 4.3.18) and USB drivers download.  Now I can see my comm port from the HU but cannot set the ID to the Pixie 4s or Pixie 8.  On the Pixie 4s, I get the power LED light and was able to set the ID but the HU will not recognize the ID.  The card will not do a test of the led Pixel lights (like the Pixel 16) except one port (random).  I am using WS2811 Pixel Strips with them and 12vdc for the card.   On the Pixie 8 I have tried to set it using the HU manual ID set but the Pixie 8 will indicate that it has no power anymore (LED will not light).  This card is using the LED Pixels bulbs like the Pixie16 and 5vdc on the card. All voltages have been checked and are good to the cards.  I am using a USB485B to program the Pixies and have tested the cables between them and they appear to be good.  The USB485B will do 19.2, 57.6 and 115 K as well as the ELOR but when I look at the speeds of the Pixie 4, 8, and 16 all are at the 500K, 1M and ELOR.  Is this a possible problem as to why the Pixies will not program the ID due to the speed? or is it something in the software I am not utilizing and am unaware of?  Can anyone advise or steer me in the right direction?

First off, the usb485B does not do high speed networks as it can only do up to 115k. Second, when assigning a unit ID to a pixie controller keep in mind that it will use as many IDs as the controller has ports. A Pixie16 will use 16 consecutive IDs even though you only assign one. A pixie8 will use eight unit IDs and so on. Make sure you are not overlapping the IDs.

Pixie's require a high speed network.

Edited by Mr. P
  • Thanks 1

Mr. P.

Thank you for the quick response!  So let me get this straight, I use 01 for a Pixie16 and it will identify as 01 on the HU, but it will use IDs 01 through 16? and the next Pixel card will need to use ID 17 though how many  ports it has (i.e Pixie 4 will have 17 through 20)?  Also, the speed in which the Pixies will operate should be up to 500k or 1M but the USB48B limits the speed up to 115k.  I should get a high speed USB RS485 HS to replace it?  I did get the last Pixie16 to take an ID (03) with no problems but will not operate the pixie light strips.  The blink all white but will not go through the test in both the card or though sequence editor.  Any idea?

John M.

Actually if you assign a Pixie16 Unit ID 1 it will use 1-10 (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,0A,0B,0C,0D,0E,0F,10) you count in hexidecimal. You will assign Unit ID 1 and the software automatically assigns the others. Then the next Pixie16 will use 11-20 and so on.

As far as speed, the pixies require 500k and up. The USB485B can't handle those speed so you will need a USB485HS, the high speed red adapter.

• Thanks 1

Mr. P

Thanks, I finally found what you are explaining buried in the Pixie 4, 8,16 Manual on page 16 under software control.  While I do understand the speed situation from a network standpoint, it did not make sense to me from a program point and knew I would have to upgrade to a high speed USB for the display.  So hopefully, I will re-ID the other pixel cards to see if this is the issue.

Thanks!

John

• The topic was locked