Light-O-Rama Forums

Splicing 4-pin extension wire to led lights

beckntrav

I have strings of 50 pixel leds that have the 4-pin wire.  I need another 4' of wire to extend them to the controllers.  Besides cutting off the factory clip on the lights and soldering extension wire to the ends, does anyone have experience with a non-soldering solution?

...don't get me wrong, I've soldered hundreds of connections, but would love to skip that this year.

21 minutes ago, beckntrav said:

I have strings of 50 pixel leds that have the 4-pin wire.  I need another 4' of wire to extend them to the controllers.  Besides cutting off the factory clip on the lights and soldering extension wire to the ends, does anyone have experience with a non-soldering solution?

...don't get me wrong, I've soldered hundreds of connections, but would love to skip that this year.

This year I started using the solder shrink tubes, it solders and wraps all at the same time.

42 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

This year I started using the solder shrink tubes, it solders and wraps all at the same time.

I also use them and highly recommend them.  Just need a super hot air gun to heat them up enough to melt the solder which in turn shrinks the tube and seals the connection at the same time.  Here is an example of what they are.  You can probably get them cheaper somewhere else.

http://www.holidaycoro.com/Solder-Shrink-Tubing-p/177.htm

1 hour ago, B.Y.R.G. said:

I also use them and highly recommend them.  Just need a super hot air gun to heat them up enough to melt the solder which in turn shrinks the tube and seals the connection at the same time.  Here is an example of what they are.  You can probably get them cheaper somewhere else.

http://www.holidaycoro.com/Solder-Shrink-Tubing-p/177.htm

I have this mini heat gun, it gets hotter then others in this size and I can direct the heat unlike the large heat guns which would melt the wires.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B000X4SMRQ/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Extensions are what I use.  Ray offers 5', 10', and 25' extensions.  Make sure you get extra pigtails in your order...I always seem to need more.

Be sure to look at the qty per order...I believe it is 10 per order......I found 50 5' one year for $15-20 in the clearance section.  Point is be careful not to order too much...not that it is possible because any extra extension cable is eventually an extension cable in use.

Fill your cart and contact Ray for shipping costs.