Light-O-Rama Forums

Power requirement

Mike Schmidt

I have a LOR160x2  30 amp controller box, plugged into 2 separate 15 amp circuits. How many CF50D CCF can I plug into each channel. I have a project that could require 17 to 20 of the CF50D floods and am wondering if I can plug all into one controller as long as its then plugged into 2 separate circuits.

Mike

Hi Phil....Yep, was aware of the Cable and unique ID's. So each CF50D controller needs to have its own 15amp circuit?   Or can I share a Circuit with say.. up to 2, 3, or 4 CF50D controllers?

Phil,  I am sorry, but the configuring of Watts to amps, amps to watts or even adding in the Volts to watts is very confusing to some in the electrical field let alone myself who is not. I am just asking...Can I share a 15 amp circuit with more than one controller? Yes, or No. The way I see it " Yes" I can, but I choose to ask others who can possibly answer the question. Yes or No. The way you have described your answer was exactly what I had come up with and therefore prompted asking the question. It looks as though I can take and plug in 30 CF50 Controllers in one 15 amp circuit.

25 minutes ago, Mike Schmidt said:

Phil,  I am sorry, but the configuring of Watts to amps, amps to watts or even adding in the Volts to watts is very confusing to some in the electrical field let alone myself who is not. I am just asking...Can I share a 15 amp circuit with more than one controller? Yes, or No. The way I see it " Yes" I can, but I choose to ask others who can possibly answer the question. Yes or No. The way you have described your answer was exactly what I had come up with and therefore prompted asking the question. It looks as though I can take and plug in 30 CF50 Controllers in one 15 amp circuit.

the answer is yes, the 30amps is with a max load all on constantly.  In this hobby with LED's (smart or otherwise) it rarely happens.

Formula:  Volts X Amps = Watts. Example 5 Amps X 120 Volts = 600 watts. If you know two of the three you can find the third answer. Hope this helps.

Mike

a 15A outlet (5-15R) also has a derate for continuous loads: 12A  It has never been clear if that number is per Yoke or per socket..

It is my interpretation of the NEC that when using only a Single Yoke on a branch circuit, that it must be rated for the over current protection used.

Also, it is common for multiple 5-15, 5-20 to be connected on a 20A branch circuit.

I would install only 5-20 outlets for heavily loaded cords,  they are beefier and a 5-20R will accept a 5-15P

Caniac;

Thank you for answering my question.  I agree, even when I did mostly non LED  did I ever come close to exceeding limits. This new project is a bit unusual as we will have to have a power source brought in and I was just trying to cover my butt by asking what others thought. I am thinking they will use around 20 lights, so I am going to ask for a minimum of 2  15 amp circuits and perhaps 3. Seems like you can always use an extra for things that get added.  Thanks again.  Mike

• The topic was locked