Light-O-Rama Forums

Back again!

jjdurrant

Hey all, I am back after taking a year off (was renting an apartment). I used a LOR1602Wg3 controller for two years and loved it.. DId a simple 16ch show with wowlights seqs.  Somehow I seemed to have misplaced the 1602 so I will be starting new with a single CTB16PC. Anyone selling?? :)

I assume this controller works basically the same? I am in MN so I plan to protect it is a plastic bin of some sort.. any heat issues doing this? I also need a new FM transmitter.. Recommendations? I had a nice EDM one that I use to like but misplaced that as well.. argh. 

Thanks!

The 1602 and CTB16PC do exactly the same things as far as controlling lights go.  There's no heat issues anywhere near here in December, that's for sure.  The extra plastic bin is totally unnecessary, as the enclosure provides all the protection from the elements you need.  Providing you close the door, that is...

I have a bunch of extra controllers laying around from which you could choose.  They work just fine but have not been used the past two or three years.  We're dark this year, so I've got plenty of spare time if you want to stop by and get one.

EDM is a fine transmitter, no doubt.  I used one the first three years.  Also a fine transmitter, at about $60 delivered, is the CZH-05B.  I've been using that model since 2011 and it provides sound every bit as acceptable as EDM, and has proven to be more reliable. 

If you want to give me a call, PM me for phone number.  Glad to see you're back.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, George Simmons said:

The 1602 and CTB16PC do exactly the same things as far as controlling lights go.  There's no heat issues anywhere near here in December, that's for sure.  The extra plastic bin is totally unnecessary, as the enclosure provides all the protection from the elements you need.  Providing you close the door, that is...

I have a bunch of extra controllers laying around from which you could choose.  They work just fine but have not been used the past two or three years.  We're dark this year, so I've got plenty of spare time if you want to stop by and get one.

EDM is a fine transmitter, no doubt.  I used one the first three years.  Also a fine transmitter, at about $60 delivered, is the CZH-05B.  I've been using that model since 2011 and it provides sound every bit as acceptable as EDM, and has proven to be more reliable. 

If you want to give me a call, PM me for phone number.  Glad to see you're back.

Wow! Thanks man. I sent you a PM. 

• 2 weeks later...

top of the morning to ya, from Ireland :)
George, could I bother you for a moment, 

I see you where very helpful to the previous poster, I was wondering if I can get your opinion on something.

for the last 6 years I have been decorating the outside of my home, all with static steady on LED lights, the ones I picked up locally in the hardware store,

i have come across this web form     very recently, following some you-tube videos, the animated tree caugh my eye.,  I am looking for idea to add to my current setup,

Do you happen to own one of these animated trees yourself and how do you find it, i see it costs $599 for the kit on the LOR website, Do you you know if that kit includes everything?     I also read that I need to download a licence and software to make the music play  through a wireless car stereo freq?  I think i see it listing at $125  But again I am not sure if that includes everything either 

Alan 

Hi Alan,

I appreciate your vote of confidence, but on this particular topic I'm not your best source of information.  I've done quite a few things with pixels starting way back in 2010, but not a pixel tree.  I've simply not been interested in one.

LOR is a fine company, their products are top notch, and their warranties are the best you'll find.  I've been extremely satisfied with all the pixels and pixel controllers I've gotten from them over the years.

With you having no experience doing a synchronized to music light show, I'd definitely recommend going the complete kit route.  I'd also suggest that you open a help ticket with LOR and/or contact them directly for guidance and advice.

I'm not keen on seeing you jump into something like this so late in the season.  I'm not saying you can't get it done but I AM saying it might not be such a good idea.

Again, I suggest you contact LOR directly.  They can answer all your questions and even answer those questions you don't even know you should be asking.

Good luck and Merry Christmas to you!

Edited by George Simmons

Thank you George you are very good to reply back and your advice is very much appreciated.

I was thinking maybe buy the essential hardware from LOR directly and then purchasing the sequence and music separately from the available sources.

If I got maybe the Tree this year, and then concentrate on the other bits for 2018, or vica versa 

Merry Christmas to you too, friend

I did notice that LOR only offers 2 power cord options (US and AU)

The assembled  (board) DIY kit comes with US in and out cords. using 16 US-UK adapters will not be pretty.  I wonder why the 240 version is not sold sans-cords? They could include a bag of ring lugs (for earthing) and fastons for the mains

On ‎10‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 10:41 AM, George Simmons said:

Can you use that transmitter outdoors, or can it only be used indoors?  I'm looking for a reasonably-priced FM transmitter to use as a backup to the Whole House transmitter that came with my LOR kit, and I'm hoping to find one that can be used outdoors.

Why put it outdoors. Just run the antenna outside, or even in a window should be fine. Mine is in the basement and the antenna is in the attic.

If you put it outside you still have to run audio and power lines to it.

16 minutes ago, PhilMassey said:

Why put it outdoors. Just run the antenna outside, or even in a window should be fine. Mine is in the basement and the antenna is in the attic.

If you put it outside you still have to run audio and power lines to it.

The LOR box that has the miniDirector will be outdoors (I'm not using a PC), so if I choose to bypass the built-in Whole House FM transmitter with a different transmitter, that transmitter would also have to be outdoors.

Unfortunately the window option won't work because I've weather-proofed all of our windows inside, so all of our window sills are behind a film of 3M window insulation. 

1 hour ago, Speedster said:

Can you use that transmitter outdoors, or can it only be used indoors?  I'm looking for a reasonably-priced FM transmitter to use as a backup to the Whole House transmitter that came with my LOR kit, and I'm hoping to find one that can be used outdoors.

I’m not aware of any FM transmitter that comes in a waterproof enclosure.  However any of the can be put into a waterproof enclosure that can be outside.

For what it’s worth, my Whole Room Transmitter got drenched not once, but twice and continued to operate for the rest of that year’s show.  Not recommended to do that however...

1 hour ago, DevMike said:

Ours does :)  That is, if you order it as part of a Showtime Central:

http://store.lightorama.com/shce.html

or a TSO Showtime Central:

http://store.lightorama.com/tsosise.html

I think that qualifies under my statement of putting it into a waterproof enclosure :)

The CZH-05B (or equivalent) equipped with the rubber ducky antenna (which is the only way I think it should be purchased) will require a CG1000 enclosure, into which the transmitter fits almost perfectly.

3 hours ago, k6ccc said:

I’m not aware of any FM transmitter that comes in a waterproof enclosure.  However any of the can be put into a waterproof enclosure that can be outside.

When I got my EDM back in 2008 they very specifically said it couldn't be put outdoors if the temperature goes below freezing.  They were very emphatic, especially when I told them it routinely goes below zero around here.  They said the LCD display would fail if it froze.

Edited by George Simmons

• The topic was locked