Light-O-Rama Forums

Hardware Utility doesn't see PC board

DerrickHoffland

I have two 16 channel PC boards in a single enclosure that I dug out and fired up this week. Prior to doing so, I upgraded to the LOR II suite V2.0.14 on a new computer. Launching the HW utiltiy and refreshing, it only found the first board. The LED's on both boards, however, went solid on. I switched the CAT5e cable so the second board was first in line and it didn't make a difference. The first board ID is 0A, the second is 0B. Board 0A, being found, could be selected and controlled by the HW utiltity. I then forced the 0B ID into the HW utility in the unit box and could also control it normally. I went back and refreshed again and it still would not find 0B, only 0A.

I then hauled it back upstairs and connected it to a different computer that is running LOR II V2.0.8. The HW utility saw both boards.

The two computers are same MFG, same model. The only difference that I can think of is one has a upgraded graphics card. Both are P4 2.8 GHz, 2G ram, WinXP.

Both PC boards were used in my Christmas show and worked flawlessly (under LOR II V2.0.8).

I really don't want to try resetting the unit ID's as I would have to change all my sequences to match.

Any thoughts?

It also depends on the Max Units you told the interface to look for. Being 0A and 0B, you had to do set it out there a ways. I am not a hex kinda guy, but setting at 25 (I believe the default) won't find your unit.

Actually, 0x0A is decimal 10 ,and 0x0B is decimal 11. So if you backed off to max units 10 to save time scanning addresses, you would only see one of the two units.

- Kevin

-klb- wrote:

Actually, 0x0A is decimal 10 ,and 0x0B is decimal 11. So if you backed off to max units 10 to save time scanning addresses, you would only see one of the two units.

- Kevin

Thanks Kevin (and others), you hit it right on the head. I had assumed that the Max Units field caused the utility to stop searching after it found that many units; not only search the network up to that unit ID. I bumped up the slider one click and it saw the other board.