Light-O-Rama Forums

mounting

TitusCarnathan

What is the best way to mount the ctb16pc unit outside in the middle of the yard

not a bad idea I will probally only have one unit on each stand but that Idea might just work

thank you

oh yeah does it have to be staked in to the ground or is it self suporting

This is my first year, I am going to strap mine to my Oak Trees in the yard. Will put them on the back side so you cannot see them from the street.

I use William's method , and where needed, I mount them on a piece of plywood made into a small ramp with scrap 2x2 or 2x4 (long enough to keep the plugs on the plywood) and just set them on the ground. Then I use Costco Yard bags and put them directly over the top of both setups. The ramps I use landscape fabric stakes to secure the garbage bag to the ground so it won't blow away. On my stands, I just open them up and put them right over the top of the whole assembly. Keeps everything high, dry and very local to my scenes.

Dennis Cherry wrote:

This is my first year, I am going to strap mine to my Oak Trees in the yard.

If you're lucky enough to have big trees in the right location, then I suggest you mount them to the tree trunks with wood screws through the back of the plastic case. Then use one of these:
073674.jpg
(where you can get here) to lock the box closed.

Iam going to use a bolt with a nut that has a nylon insert. If you ever used these before you know it takes two wrenches to put them on and take them off. You cannot just loosen them and just use your fingers to remove them, they are designed for high vibration applications so the unit does not fall apart.

Now how many people who want to steal your display will have two wrenches the correct size for the nut and bolt and take the time to remove the nylon nuts so they can remove your controller? They are interested in Hit & Run only.

These nuts are available at many hardware stores in the special nut and bolt drawers, even HD and Lowes have them.

• 5 months later...

Does anyone have pictures of how they mounted their CTB16PC (in stock enclosures) onto either stands or rebar stakes. I noticed Richard Holdman has a simple rebar mount ... but couldn't quite tell how he attached the cases to the rebar.

I have two controller which need to be deployed into the yard ... one will probably be in grass and the other will be in a river rocked area.

Thanks in advance,
Scott

How about steel straps designed to hold electrical wire? Just use self tapping screws.

I did this using longer strapping to attach to mega tree.

I used angle iron as in this picture. I'm also going to use either stainless cable or a chain bolted to the angle iron, then install one of those screw into the ground dog holders and connect the cable or chain to that. It'll help in case someone decides they want the controller more than you, at least they'll have to work to get it

Attached files 162450=9417-IMG_0054.JPG

taybrynn wrote:

Does anyone have pictures of how they mounted their CTB16PC (in stock enclosures) onto either stands or rebar stakes. I noticed Richard Holdman has a simple rebar mount ... but couldn't quite tell how he attached the cases to the rebar.

I have two controller which need to be deployed into the yard ... one will probably be in grass and the other will be in a river rocked area.

Thanks in advance,
Scott

I used mast-mount U-bolts from Radio Shack (P/N 15-826) and attached them to powder-coated antenna mast sections (P/N 15-862) sawed in half. The two holes for the U-bolts were drilled through the case and the bracket that holds the power cord strain reliefs.

(I stole the idea from Kevin, aka -klb-.)

The U-bolts I used were way over-priced (about 6 bucks each), but they worked really well. I also like the powder-coated mast. It ought to last years before it rusts.

Attached files 162458=9418-LOR_Mount.jpg