Light-O-Rama Forums

Using a CTB16PC & CMB24D controller

CZTYSON

Good day everyone,

This is my second year doing LOR.  I had great success last year and wanted to spice things up by getting some RGB devises.  I have the RGB 10W spot lights using the CMB24D controller.  I also have 3 CTB16PC controllers.  In addition I am waiting to get my Pixie 16 controller soon.  I am using Pixel editor to program RGB devises and sequence editor to program string lights.

The problem I am having is it seems the CMB24D controller wants to run "ENHANCED" network and the CTB16PC wants to run regular.  I am not sure what the Pixie 16 controller wants to use (I am assuming the enhanced network).  I can get each controller to run and display the lights individually, but I cannot get them to run together. 

Any advise??? Do I have to run 2 networks?

Thanks in advance!

Both the CMB24D and CTB16PC will run on a non-enhanced network.  The CMB24D will run on an enhanced network, but the CTB16PC (unless it's a G3 version) will not.  Pixel Editor ONLY outputs intensity files which requires use of an enhanced network.  The other issue you are going to run into is that the Pixie controllers requires 500K or 1000K speed, and your CTB16PC will not operate on either of those speeds (the CTB16PDG3 WILL operate on a 500K network).

Your solution is to run two networks.  One network will run at no more than 115K speed non-enhanced for use with your CTB16PC controllers, and a second network running at 500K speed enhanced for your CMB24D and Pixie controller.  Since you said you are using Pixel Editor for the RGB stuff, and Sequence Editor for the strings controlled by the CTB16PC controllers, this should work out fine for you.

You can take a look at this page to see what controllers work on what network speed and types:

http://www1.lightorama.com/network-speeds/

Does all that make sense?

Yes this all makes since, and is pretty much exactly what I thought I needed to do, but wanted to get another opinion before purchasing the necessary supplies/accessories to run 2 networks.

I clicked on your link you provided and noticed that the Easy Light Linker Network speeds and noticed it only can run on the 115K speed non-enhanced. I used the ELL last year and it worked great (only had the 3 CTB16PC controllers). Because I will need to run one network as enhanced, does this mean I will be unable to use the ELL for my enhanced network and it will have to be hardwired?  If it has to be hardwired, would 100' or longer Ethernet cable suffice? Or is the length really a factor for hardwired devises?

Also k6ccc, I noticed from another one of your posts that you use Superstar.  If I used Superstar would I still have to run 2 networks?

Thank you for your help thus far!

50 minutes ago, CZTYSON said:

Yes this all makes since, and is pretty much exactly what I thought I needed to do, but wanted to get another opinion before purchasing the necessary supplies/accessories to run 2 networks.

I clicked on your link you provided and noticed that the Easy Light Linker Network speeds and noticed it only can run on the 115K speed non-enhanced. I used the ELL last year and it worked great (only had the 3 CTB16PC controllers). Because I will need to run one network as enhanced, does this mean I will be unable to use the ELL for my enhanced network and it will have to be hardwired?  If it has to be hardwired, would 100' or longer Ethernet cable suffice? Or is the length really a factor for hardwired devises?

Also k6ccc, I noticed from another one of your posts that you use Superstar.  If I used Superstar would I still have to run 2 networks?

Thank you for your help thus far!

You can continue to use the ELL on CTB16 network

4000' total is the theoretical limit of a SINGLE RS485 network  (using decent quality cable and avoiding bundling with the AC lines. Rule of thumb: Cross, not parallel EM noisy conductors)

Awesome!

Will I need this product (USB485-HS) for running my enhanced network?  Or can I use the standard USB485? It appears since I will be running a 500K network that the red USB485-HS will work better. I just want to make sure I purchase all I need in 1 trip to run 2 different networks.

http://store.lightorama.com/usbrs485hs.html

7 hours ago, CZTYSON said:

Running SuperStar will have no effect on the need to run two networks.  You have devices that require operation at non-compatible speeds (the old CTB16PC only go to 115K speed and the Pixie requires 500K speed).  Therefore, two networks are required.

3 hours ago, CZTYSON said:

Will I need this product (USB485-HS) for running my enhanced network?  Or can I use the standard USB485?

Either USB adapter will work on either enhanced or non-enhanced network, however the high speed (red) adapter is required for 500 or 1000K speed.  BTW, since the price difference is only a few dollars, my standard advice is to only buy the high speed adapters (they will operate at any LOR speed).