Light-O-Rama Forums

How many watts can a residential LOR controller handle?

GabrielG.

I just bought a residential starter pack (16 channels). I'm in my shed counting all of the lights that I have and calculating the total wattage. My  question is how many total watts can I pull from a single channel. And how many total watts can I pull from the controller without blowing a fuse? For my mega tree, I'm using 6 sets of 300 count incandescent lights. Each set uses 72 watts.  In total, all six sets use a total of 432 watts. I can only plug in 3 sets end to end. Can I  use two extension cords to split them up 3 and 3  and then plug both of those extension cords into a single channel on my controller using a 3  plug to 1 plug adapter?  And if I do this will I still be able to plug in lights to the rest of the 15  available channels.  I would like to make a tree to be one single channel.  I use all LEDs except for my mega tree.  Any help is greatly appreciated!

It's best if you relate everything to amps since the controller is fused in amps. Each bank can handle 15 amps and each channel can handle 8 amps.

To get the amps divide the watts by the voltage so 432w /  120v = 3.6 amps

1 hour ago, GabrielG. said:

I just bought a residential starter pack (16 channels). I'm in my shed counting all of the lights that I have and calculating the total wattage. My  question is how many total watts can I pull from a single channel. And how many total watts can I pull from the controller without blowing a fuse? For my mega tree, I'm using 6 sets of 300 count incandescent lights. Each set uses 72 watts.  In total, all six sets use a total of 432 watts. I can only plug in 3 sets end to end. Can I  use two extension cords to split them up 3 and 3  and then plug both of those extension cords into a single channel on my controller using a 3  plug to 1 plug adapter?  And if I do this will I still be able to plug in lights to the rest of the 15  available channels.  I would like to make a tree to be one single channel.  I use all LEDs except for my mega tree.  Any help is greatly appreciated!

In addition to that 15 Amps per bank (1-8, 9-16) , tho power IN cords need to be supplied from separate Outlet Circuits (breakers)

Additionally, the NEMA 5-15P should not be run at full load for 4 hours or more (heat buildup). 12A is the continuous load limit

as for you 6 strings. Those should be fine.

Alternate feed method (1 cord). Center feed : a T, with LOR at the bottom, 2 outlets in the center (You may be able to stack the plugs. Test to run: Pull the fuses from 1 plug. plug that into the cord. now stack the second plug. Do the y light? The fuses may only cover the string)

Edited by TheDucks

• The topic was locked