Light-O-Rama Forums

Looking to Get Started and Need Advice

Steve J

Hello all,

I am brand new here and have never setup anything like this.  There are so many forum topics here but yet I cannot find exactly what I am looking for.  I would like to start my first project by building a pixel or ribbon tree but would like advice from experts on the best way to go.  I would like to build a tree of about 10-15 feet tall with at least 16 strands of lights.  What I need is advice on the best options to use (controller, lighting type i.e. ribbon or pixel, and any other important components and information). I want to provide music along with the show so I need to know all of the components I need to build this and what are the best possible options to start since I would like to expand to additional items in the future.  I want to be sure to do this the right way and minimize my newbie mistakes to start.

Thanks in advance for your consideration and help.

Steve J

I can't give you a lot of help with the RGB specifics, but just so you know, the project you are looking to make will most likely cost over $2,000 to get up and running.

• Like 1

Yeah, I'm expecting it to be pretty pricey...but I want to be sure I start with the right stuff so that I can expand later to a much bigger show.  Thanks for the feedback Brian.

If you want easy get the CCR Tree pixie16 kit from LOR store. You will have to build a frame, I posted a tutorial here a few months ago that is step by step easy. Is it the best? No, however it is functional. I did mod it as I went along and the mods are included. At least it will get you up and running by Christmas if you are motivated. 

The pixie controllers are built for the LOR network which means you can build on it with LOR controllers and keep everything simple.

Best of luck, questions with the pixie16 let me know.

The best thing about LOR, they stand by their products in almost any situation short of you setting it on fire. You are jumping into the fire but no better place to start. You will also need at least advanced or pro license.

JR

Edited by dibblejr
  • Like 1

Take a look at the web page for my pixel tree.  That will show how I built mine and that should give you at least some ideas.  Mine is a 12 string by 50 pixels per string, but the concepts are the same.

http://newburghlights.org/pixel_tree.html

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Steve J said:

Yeah, I'm expecting it to be pretty pricey...but I want to be sure I start with the right stuff so that I can expand later to a much bigger show.  Thanks for the feedback Brian.

Great.  As long as you are aware.   Some people think they can get into this hobby for a couple hundred bucks and have a fantastic display.  Nay nay!!

Good luck and enjoy the emptying of your wallet.  :-O

It can be worth every penny.

• Like 2

Welcome to the addiction. I'm glad to hear you're ready to go big!

First and foremost, I'd like to remind you that there is sequencing involved in this hobby. For this time of the year, it might be best to start with building the tree and buying songs pre-sequenced. Look at wowlights.com or holidaycoro.com - both offer services. I don't recommend one over the other, or exclude any services from other vendors, but these are two I've seen as most popular.

As for software, I recommend you download LOR's S4 Sequencing Suite and learn the software so you can build your show. Additionally, I recommend buying an FM transmitter to broadcast your music. Use radio-locator.com to find open signals to use. Please let me know if there's anything else I can do to help you.

• Like 1

Thanks to all for our knowledge and information.  I have been OOC for a while and and going to sit down and go through all this info now.  Hopefully sometime in the not too distant future I will be able to share some videos of my own.  Cheers!