Light-O-Rama Forums

DMX

interadx

I have used LOR for many years and even used their Dumb RGB Controllers.  Now I am venturing out into the world of other DMX Dumb Controllers and purchased 27 channel controller but can't seem to make it work with S4 LOR software.  What items are needed to connect the 27 channel DMX controller to LOR and what type of configuring in LOR S4 software.  Please be basic, not real high speed on electronics.  Thank you in advance

You can't use the 27 ch controller directly on LOR as they speak different languages. The 27 ch controller speaks DMX and LOR speaks RS485 so you need to get an interpreter. You either need to get the iDMX1000 or the Actidongle to translate for you. They will convert the RS485 signal to dmx. If you are running any E1.31 controllers they may be able to act as a bridge and run the 27 ch controller over E1.31.

I'm going to clarify what Mr. P said a little.  Both LOR network and DMX network use the RS-485 electrical standard.  However, the data format that is used is different between the two.  An analogy would be two people talking over the same telephone, but one is speaking in German, and the other is speaking Russian.

The easiest way to do this in LOR software is to add a second RS-485 network that is using DMX protocol instead of LOR protocol.  You CAN use a standard LOR USB-RS485 adapter, but there have been reports years ago of the channels being off by one (never tried that so I don't know).  There are a number of other USB to DMX specifically RS-485 adapters available.  Some are fairly dumb and there are some smart ones too.  As I don't use DMX (at least not over RS-485), I really don't have the specifics there.

3 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

Thanks Jim, I guess I should have said that one speaks LOR and the other DMX.

Correct.  They both use RS-485, but use different languages.

OK, so I purchase this Acti Dongle, then connect it to the RS-485, I have my Sequence Editor with DMX channels programmed.   One question, is this Acti Dongle on its on USB port I suppose with its own RS-485 connection?  I understand after reading some out here you have to turn on the Comm Listener to ensure the lights will work...just don't want to purchase a bunch of items I don't need.  Thank you for your replies...I see Mr. P is in Georgia, neighbor and K6ccc is in CA...I lived in Orange County for a good part of my younger years...retired from the Military out here after 40 years.  Again I do appreciate both of you taking your time. 

The DMX will appear as a second network in your network preferences.

Note that native DMX requires a advanced or higher LOR license.

Yes, I did my Basic Training at Ft Ord in 1974...Then Ft Polk and then Germany for 3 years...liked it and stayed....anyway my LOR is v4.3.14 advanced...When K6ccc stated as a second network, that would mean of course its own USB connection to my laptop, correct.

Guys, thanks again...might have a few more questions later...order the Acti Dongle and will wait on that to see if this old soldier can get it working...really do appreciate the time..

Mr. P, I just retired in Feb 2015...was full time National Guard...in Oct 2013 my HQ called and volunteered me for Afghanistan, got home Aug 2014 and retired soon after...by the way, thanks for your service...

Yes, the Actidongle would use a second usb connection on your laptop so when you go to program the channels it would not be the "Regular" LOR network, it would be Aux A. Just make sure you have an Advanced or Pro license.

I did 25 years and retired in October 2010, my last 12 in Germany. I guess they just wanted me close so they could rotate me out of Iraq and Afghanistan every other year.  :wacko:

I have one that I've never used except for testing when I first got into pixels. Its been sitting in a box now for going on 4 years. It gets hooked up to a spare USB port. No RS-485 connection needed. The Actidongle is a HC item. So if you go to there web site they have a video showing how to install and use it. I never did because I discovered and got into E1.31 controllers which have built in DMX ports. If you want to stay within the LOR ecosystem and be able to daisy chain off their AC controllers you should get the CMB-24D Deluxe DC card here:

http://store.lightorama.com/cmdedcca3.html

Otherwise get an E1.31 controller or a Pixcon16 ( LOR ecosystem). There are several kinds. You just have to find the one that works for you. The controllers usually have 3 to 4 built in DMX ports.