Light-O-Rama Forums

CCbulb arches? / Enhanced network? / Software?

Morales Home

Last year was my first synchronized display.  I used (1) CMB24D with 8 floods, (1) CTB16PC, USB-RS485 Adapter with Booster,  Basic Plus level license, and I use the LOR Sequence Editor.  Family and friends loved our show last year.  During this year's LOR Spring Sale, I  ordered another CTB16PC and a Plug n Show CCBulb 100 bulb set with controller (wanted to get my feet wet in the pixel world). Now I have a few of questions.  

1. Will I need to upgrade my License Level to use all 4 of these controllers this year?

2. Will I need to add an "enhanced network?" If so, do I need to purchase a USB-RS485-HS and which controllers do I put on that network?

3. Can arches be created with the CCBulb 100 bulb set with controller? If so, has anyone done this and do you have any pictures, videos or advice on how to do it?

I know this is a lot to ask but any help is greatly appreciated. THANK YOU

1)  A Basic Plus license can assign up to four unit ID's so you should be good with the four controllers as long as you run the CCBs in Normal Mode. Dual Normal would use two unit ID's and that would make five IDs but your license can only handle four. Dual Normal is set by default for CCBs and you would need to upgrade your license before you can use that.

2)  An Enhanced Network is only available with a Pro license so you would need to upgrade. I recommend to everyone that once you start using pixels you should have a minimum of an Advanced license.

3)  Yes you can create arches with a CCB, number of arches would depend on how big you want to make them. You could easily get four arches out of them.

5 hours ago, Morales Home said:

3. Can arches be created with the CCBulb 100 bulb set with controller? If so, has anyone done this and do you have any pictures, videos or advice on how to do it?

My arches are using CCPs rather than CCBs, but you could do something similar to what I did using larger pipe, or you could secure the CCBs to the outside of a pipe.  Here is my web page on my arches:

http://newburghlights.org/CCP_Arches.html

14 hours ago, Mr. P said:

1)  A Basic Plus license can assign up to four unit ID's so you should be good with the four controllers as long as you run the CCBs in Normal Mode. Dual Normal would use two unit ID's and that would make five IDs but your license can only handle four. Dual Normal is set by default for CCBs and you would need to upgrade your license before you can use that.

2)  An Enhanced Network is only available with a Pro license so you would need to upgrade. I recommend to everyone that once you start using pixels you should have a minimum of an Advanced license.

3)  Yes you can create arches with a CCB, number of arches would depend on how big you want to make them. You could easily get four arches out of them.

Thanks for the help. Just to clarify, I won't have any lag with these 4 controllers running on the same network (daisy chain)?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, k6ccc said:

My arches are using CCPs rather than CCBs, but you could do something similar to what I did using larger pipe, or you could secure the CCBs to the outside of a pipe.  Here is my web page on my arches:

http://newburghlights.org/CCP_Arches.html

They look really good. I'll consider this method and keep you posted if I get it going. I knew I should've started with pixels first ?. I'm just trying to incorporate those strings this year. It won't affect my display if I can't get it going. Worth a try though. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Morales Home said:

Thanks for the help. Just to clarify, I won't have any lag with these 4 controllers running on the same network (daisy chain)?

You shouldn't have any issues.

But having said that, the cost of a high speed USB RS485 adapter is pretty small compared to the frustration and aggravation that having lag induces.

+1 on Mr. P's advice regarding an Advanced license.

4 hours ago, George Simmons said:

You shouldn't have any issues.

But having said that, the cost of a high speed USB RS485 adapter is pretty small compared to the frustration and aggravation that having lag induces.

+1 on Mr. P's advice regarding an Advanced license.

So true. I'll just get a HSRS485 to save me some unexpected headaches. Hopefully running 2 networks won't be complicated. If i understand correctly, it should just be a matter of assigning the RGB controllers to the new network and seperate comm port right?

31 minutes ago, Morales Home said:

So true. I'll just get a HSRS485 to save me some unexpected headaches. Hopefully running 2 networks won't be complicated. If i understand correctly, it should just be a matter of assigning the RGB controllers to the new network and seperate comm port right?

You will need an Advanced  or Pro license to run more then one network. However, with the few amount of controllers and one CCB you will be good with one network.