Light-O-Rama Forums

Swirl effect in globe

jerry72

SO what i am trying to do is create a swirl effect in side an opaque 6" globe. I will be using 8 WS2811 nodes in a circle patter. I made a 14 second sequence using the shockwave effect, hard to see if i am going to achieve that effect or not, SS doesnt show you the true results. Take a look and see what ya think. Please, any suggestions will help. Gonna fire up the E682 and try it out. I plan to have my tune to sign held between two striped north poles with globes on them.

globe.zip

Edited by jerry72

Eight pixels does not give much resolution for much of anything.  I downloaded your zip file, but without the visualization to go with the .sup file, we can only guess at what it will look like.

Can you at least give a more detailed description of what the construction of these globes will be.  "in side an opaque 6" globe" does not give a lot of information.  If you've already built these, a photo might help.

Thought the Viz file was in there, The viz file will be added to the zip file in the first post.. I will be using a RBL Pixel adapter. It will be be held in place by 1/2" PVC connected to a 3" pvc cap.

snow globe.lee

I'm on my phone and can't look at the .lee file until morning, but RBL pixel adapter does not tell me anything useful.
Sorry to be a pain, but I'm not understanding what you're doing.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk, so blame any typos on Android!

OK, I have now gotten to my computer and have looked at your SuperStar Sequence and visualization.  I also did a Google search for RBL pixel adapter so now I know what you're doing.  I don't think you are going to get the effect you are expecting.  Each light is going to light up all of the area inside the globe to varying degrees.  If you could put in some additional baffles so that each bulb only lit one portion of the globe, you might have a chance.  However I don't think your sequence as written will do what you want either.  Because you are starting the cycle over every second, each cycle never gets a chance to finish properly.

13 hours ago, jerry72 said:

SS doesnt show you the true results

What do you mean that SS doesn't show the true results?  Looked fine when I used the snow globe visualization.

What i mean is SS doesnt show you what it will look like in real time, with the globe on as a defuser, so its hard to see how it will look.

Until you build it, anything would be nothing more than an wild guess because there will be so much interaction between the lights.  You might get a better idea by making each light much larger and much closer together in visualizer.  Just for grins, I took your snow globe visualization and made each pixel as a RGB flood with a size of 32 and the entire prop only twice the diameter of each individual pixel.  Of course all the pixels massively overlapped.  You are right about SuperStar not really giving the overlap, but outputting it to SE and playing to Visualizer does pretty well.  However, you're going to have to build one and see how it looks.  In the direction that the pixels are pointing, I don't think you would get ANY individuality.  Only the sides might show any color difference.  I doubt that anyone expected the RBLs to be used with anything but all the pixels inside to be the same color at any given time. 

I sort of have a similar situation in my year round landscape lighting.  In front of 17 roses is a curved brick edging with 11 pixels (33 RGB LEDs) RGB smart strip.  The strip lights up the rose bush and the white stucco wall behind the roses.  Although they are all smart strips so I COULD control each pixel independently, there would be no point in it.  The photo below is looking over the rose bush from the wall

Roses_strip.jpg

This shows the view from the street as lit up for Valentines Day.

Valentines-1.jpg

2 hours ago, k6ccc said:

Until you build it, anything would be nothing more than an wild guess because there will be so much interaction between the lights.  You might get a better idea by making each light much larger and much closer together in visualizer.  Just for grins, I took your snow globe visualization and made each pixel as a RGB flood with a size of 32 and the entire prop only twice the diameter of each individual pixel.  Of course all the pixels massively overlapped.  You are right about SuperStar not really giving the overlap, but outputting it to SE and playing to Visualizer does pretty well.  However, you're going to have to build one and see how it looks.  In the direction that the pixels are pointing, I don't think you would get ANY individuality.  Only the sides might show any color difference.  I doubt that anyone expected the RBLs to be used with anything but all the pixels inside to be the same color at any given time. 

I sort of have a similar situation in my year round landscape lighting.  In front of 17 roses is a curved brick edging with 11 pixels (33 RGB LEDs) RGB smart strip.  The strip lights up the rose bush and the white stucco wall behind the roses.  Although they are all smart strips so I COULD control each pixel independently, there would be no point in it.  The photo below is looking over the rose bush from the wall

Roses_strip.jpg

This shows the view from the street as lit up for Valentines Day.

Valentines-1.jpg

How have those strips held up over time? I was thinking the same thing for my yard. I thought about putting them into HDPE but HDPE is not UV resistant. 

16997694_1267382303347881_8224009374694907754_n (1).jpg

Edited by jerry72

Those are WS2811 strips in the silicon tube.  I used GE Silicon II to "glue" them to the brick somewhere between Christmas 2012 and Christmas 2013.  You can't see it in the photo, but there is about a foot and a half of cable between each segment of the strip.  I was VERY careful to make each of those connections waterproof.  The strips get wet from the watering (visible in the photo), and rain.  Many of the junctions are in the dirt.  Because these strips on the North North East face of the brick, they don't get much direct sun, but do get lots of indirect sun with the white stucco two feet behind them.

To date, I have had one pixel that glows a very dim green when off.  You have to walk right up to it and look directly at the pixel in order to see it, so it's not a problem.  That pixel dies work correctly when commanded on with any color - just that green does not go completely out.  It's been that way for the past six months or so, and as long as it does not get worse, I have no plans to replace it.

3 hours ago, k6ccc said:

Those are WS2811 strips in the silicon tube.  I used GE Silicon II to "glue" them to the brick somewhere between Christmas 2012 and Christmas 2013.  You can't see it in the photo, but there is about a foot and a half of cable between each segment of the strip.  I was VERY careful to make each of those connections waterproof.  The strips get wet from the watering (visible in the photo), and rain.  Many of the junctions are in the dirt.  Because these strips on the North North East face of the brick, they don't get much direct sun, but do get lots of indirect sun with the white stucco two feet behind them.

To date, I have had one pixel that glows a very dim green when off.  You have to walk right up to it and look directly at the pixel in order to see it, so it's not a problem.  That pixel dies work correctly when commanded on with any color - just that green does not go completely out.  It's been that way for the past six months or so, and as long as it does not get worse, I have no plans to replace it.

First, i got the coloration i wanted in the globe, but the lights were to jumpy, not smooth. I may have to program each pixel to fade up then fade down in order to get the smooth effect i want. But, they do look good in the globe. Second, where did ya get yer lights, i am planning on using dumb strips.

Essentially all lights I have that did not come from LOR, I got from Ray Wu.

• 2 months later...

Thought i would update this, after many many attempts, i have given up, i can not get a smooth swirl effect. I am sure some one like Bryan could make it work, but i have been unable to.

3 hours ago, jerry72 said:

Thought i would update this, after many many attempts, i have given up, i can not get a smooth swirl effect. I am sure some one like Bryan could make it work, but i have been unable to.

I don't know what type of swirl affect you are looking for but the Butterfly affect will give you a swirl. If you look at the video they used Really Big Lights which are like globes and at the 6:10 mark they are using the butterfly affect. In the Butterfly you can choose which colors to use.

Edited by Mr. P