Light-O-Rama Forums

We lost the contest

Jaynee

So, I wanted to get a Santa projector to run in this year's display, but my husband kept hedging, saying he didn't know if it was worth it to get one considering we had all the other stuff going on in our yard and with the LOR show.

Cut to this month - our neighborhood has a lighting contest.  A lot of folks in the neighborhood thought we would win (and said as much on our neighborhood's FB page), but in the end, the winner was a house that basically just had white lights on their shrubs and around their windows, as well as ... A SANTA PROJECTOR IN ONE WINDOW!

:rolleyes:

They probably gave out better goodie bags.

With all joking aside, I do it for my family, fun and excitement. When you take all of that out of the equation it's no longer a fun hobby.

This year our city dropped the ball when the city manager resigned. The list got forgotten but the Santa stop (fire truck) still ran.

I just enjoy hearing what everyone is saying about my display and the "thank you"  that they post up on our community forum . That's what the season is all about.

At least for me.

Better luck next year after you add that projector, unless your neighbor finds the newest toy to display. (CCR Tree)

JR

• Like 1

I warned my family ahead of the contest that there was no guarantee we'd win since not everyone likes Griswaldian decorations. :D  So I never expected we'd win.  And I agree that I do it mainly for the kids, not the adults.  

My favorite moment this whole season was being inside the house watching TV.  I was FFing through some commercials and heard "I LOVE IT!" in a small child's voice outside our house.  Peeped out the window to see a dad holding his young daughter in his arms as they walked back and forth on the sidewalk while she pointed out the lighted animals she liked the most.  They stayed and watched the display for a good 20 minutes before getting back in their car and driving away (we have a speaker outside the house so walkers can hear the music that goes with the light show).

On a side note, I can't get a Santa projector NOW - the winning house will think we're copying them!! *lol*

• Like 2

Just now, Jaynee said:

I warned my family ahead of the contest that there was no guarantee we'd win since not everyone likes Griswaldian decorations. :D  So I never expected we'd win.  And I agree that I do it mainly for the kids, not the adults.  

My favorite moment this whole season was being inside the house watching TV.  I was FFing through some commercials and heard "I LOVE IT!" in a small child's voice outside our house.  Peeped out the window to see a dad holding his young daughter in his arms as they walked back and forth on the sidewalk while she pointed out the lighted animals she liked the most.  They stayed and watched the display for a good 20 minutes before getting back in their car and driving away (we have a speaker outside the house so walkers can hear the music that goes with the light show).

On a side note, I can't get a Santa projector NOW - the winning house will think we're copying them!! *lol*

You can get a Scary Jack O Lantern projector and for Halloween have a scene where it eats a Santa projector, for the win. That's exactly what Id do. Or instead of buying the $80 projector get one that projects better quality images than theirs.

But yes, no more precious moments than that of a child's voice aweing over the display.

I was eating breakfast at McD's last year with my 2 boys who at the time were 3&5. My boys always call me daddy and just as this morning they were like daddy this and daddy that at the table eating their pancakes. Once finished I was loading them up in the truck and someone grabbed my elbow. (not a great thing to do with me since I CC, but my hands were full). A very old gentleman said "I was listening to you and your little boys, their daddy in their sweet voices brought tears to my eyes, my child was killed at their age and my wife and I split up from the stress". He then said "there is nothing more precious than the conversation you was having with those sweet little boy". He then tried to pay for my breakfast and I refused,

It was a touching moment that I will never forget. My boys are my world and for a few holidays a month I go to the end of the world for them.

Better luck next year with the Santa Clause eating pumpkins!

JR

• The topic was locked