Light-O-Rama Forums

New to CCR Tree

Khart

I just bought CCR II Ribbon tree, what is the best way to build the tree.   I see a lot of people using 1/2" schedule 40 pipe or electrical conduit.   I thought about using the pixel strips that LOR sells, but worried they will eventually break the ribbons with wind.  At this point I am swaying towards the 1/2" electrical conduit, but want to know does everyone leave the ribbons on the pipes on off season or do you remove and re wrap on spools. 

Mine is not the LOR kit, but you could likely adapt what I did for what you want to do (or at least give you some ideas).  There is explanations and photos here:

http://newburghlights.org/pixel_tree.html

In my case, the PVC pipe strips are un-mounted from the frame for off season storage.  Takes me about an hour to take it apart and put it back together.

I built a 12 CCR tree and star with 3/4" sq alum tubing. The CCR remains on the tubing all year, and is stored inside disassembled. If you want more info, I can send you a file that shows how it is built, just send me a note. I am in Fremont, CA, this is an image of the tree setup. If no image is displayed, there might be too many viewers, or the browser configuration may have to be changed. See help for detailed instructions on how to do this.

Edited by htebault
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, htebault said:

I built a 12 CCR tree and star with 3/4" sq alum tubing. The CCR remains on the tubing all year, and is stored inside disassembled. If you want more info, I can send you a file that shows how it is built, just send me a note. I am in Fremont, CA, this is an image of the tree setup.

I would like the file if you are willing to share it.  I put my CCRs on 1/2" conduit and am having a problem with it slipping off to the side and not looking straight  I am looking to do something different next year.

18 hours ago, htebault said:

I built a 12 CCR tree and star with 3/4" sq alum tubing. The CCR remains on the tubing all year, and is stored inside disassembled. If you want more info, I can send you a file that shows how it is built, just send me a note. I am in Fremont, CA, this is an image of the tree setup. If no image is displayed, there might be too many viewers, or the browser configuration may have to be changed. See help for detailed instructions on how to do this.

LOL just realized this is a webcam as I saw a car drive by!

Andy, when you put up your tree using the square tubing ate you doing 1 by 1 at a time and are they just one piece or are you attaching 2 together.

I been looking into a u type of tubing out of aluminum so I can put the CCRs inside which would protect the ribbons from twisting or damaging them.

But wondering if they would still have the same effect. Please send me info on your design and pics in you have any. Always looking for new ideas>

Normkeinz@gmail.com in Rockford, Ill.

manitoutheos, You should be fine putting the CCR on the inside of a U channel provided the channel is not overly deep.  The deeper the channel gets, the more the light would be blocked off axis.  Depending on your show environment, that may or may not be much of a problem.  For example, my pixel tree only needs to be visible for a little over 90 degrees because of my arrangement.  If you were to use a channel that was something like 3/4 inch wide by 1/4 inch deep, there would essentially be no blockage.  But going to a channel that is 3/4 inch deep would substantially limit the viewing angle..