Light-O-Rama Forums

Cutting Coroplast

jtomason

Even with a straight edge I still can't cut this stuff in a straight line...  Any words of wisdom before I totally lose it?

On 12/20/2016 at 9:01 PM, robongar said:

Use a steel straight edge and take your time

Even that didn't work...  LOL..  Oh well, I got it done, and fortunately my inept coro-cutting didn't cause any discernable problems..   Some silicone helped fix what I screwed up...  LOL

The Candy Canes are FINALLY built and are being sequenced - and that's what's important. 

Yeah, I'm a small(ish) show, so generally I can afford to start after Thanksgiving - which I had to this year since we were away. I decided last minute to order RGB stuff, and went through all of the growing pains while the non-RGB show was running.  I plan to be more timely next year, but you know what they say about plans.... :D 

If you are cutting along the flute the VERY simple and VERY easy way is with  a coro cutter (cheap, fast and great). cutting across the flute is a bit more difficult.VERY sharp box cutter and a metal ruler with a large piece of cardboard under the coro or a scrap piece of coro works pretty good but you MUST go slowly, and Watch out for your fingers NEVER NEVER towards yourself.  
Don't be a cheap scat change the blade often.

• Like 1

This was across the flute, because to make the curves requires you to slice through the outer wall of the flute.  I did exactly as you said, yet still managed to screw it up.  

Perhaps some of us just weren't born to cut coroplast...  <shrug>    When I build the second pair of canes I will farm out that part to someone with skills.    Sequencing the damned things was much easier than building them!!

I end up going a little OCD when I do my Coro builds. I use my table saw to cut the side pieces so they match up in size perfectly. And I make my cuts to bend the Coro on the inside so I don't have any water penetration into open Coro that might freeze and expand

I'm a little light on the whole workshop concept, sadly.  Maybe when next we move.  A table saw would certainly seem to be much easier.   Good point on the inside cuts, although I don't have to worry about that much here.  Still 70 degrees at half past midnight... :D

7 hours ago, jtomason said:

Still 70 degrees at half past midnight... :D

It seems like everybody down south  likes to rub that in :P.

around here that kind of talk might get you a snowball in the ear:rolleyes: 

• The topic was locked