Light-O-Rama Forums

PVC Spider prop?

gsmith37064

A while back i came across a posting of a PVC spider. The legs are made out of PVC pipe and the face was one of those trick or treat jack-olanterns that we used for candy. I cannot remember what was the body was...

I have been looking for the post again to see how it was done. Does anyone remember this? if so do you know the post or have pics?

Bingo! Thats just what i was after. Thanks a bunch!!

Christmas is not even here yet and i am already planning Halloween :)

Edited by gsmith37064

Does anyone know of semi clear pvc pipe? I would like to put pixel strips inside to light up the legs and belly.

On 12/24/2016 at 9:18 PM, gsmith37064 said:

Does anyone know of semi clear pvc pipe? I would like to put pixel strips inside to light up the legs and belly.

there are two options for this, I have found a few places online that sell clear PVC (kind of expensive) but I have used the clear florescent light covers myself and they are only a dollar or two apiece.  Check those out in the lighting department of your local Lowe's/HomeDepot/Menards et al.

Pex tubing will be used for the legs. pixel strips will go inside to make them glow. My goal is to make the legs work much like a leaping arch would for Christmas.

So now I am looking at getting a servodog and a servo to make the head move back and forth. I still cant find an easy way to do the fog machine though. I see the DMX ones but not sure if they plug into the pixel controller like a light strip would.

PEX is MUCH better than PVC if you are lighting it from the inside. Although the PVC looks white, it makes a large yellow shift when illuminated from the inside. PEX causes very little color shift. The PVC also attenuates the light a lot more than a similar thickness of PVC.

Sent from my Droid Turbo via Tapatalk, so blame any typos or spelling errors on Android

Just now, gsmith37064 said:

Pex tubing will be used for the legs. pixel strips will go inside to make them glow. My goal is to make the legs work much like a leaping arch would for Christmas.

So now I am looking at getting a servodog and a servo to make the head move back and forth. I still cant find an easy way to do the fog machine though. I see the DMX ones but not sure if they plug into the pixel controller like a light strip would.

Greg

For the fog machine a cheap method I use (when I use it)

Duct tape the trigger and connect it to a timer. Remember to test to see the amount of time it takes for it to warm up and at that delay to your sequence.

Halloween 2015 I didn't use a timer, I just let it run with the trigger duct taped and zip tied.

I may be wrong but I think if you want to control DMX devices LOR has a separate controller for that, I don't think the AlphaPix will work.  I have had a lot of success with the relay off a trraditional LOR controller.

The AlphixPix16 has 3 channels for DMX devices so I am thinking i could go this route. I have a couple emails out to vendors that sale DMX foggers to understand what kind of connector they use.

I can't go with a normal fogger unless i purchase a standard controller. I am all RGB so DMX is the route i am looking for.

I think this spider will be awesome if i can figure out the smoke :)