Light-O-Rama Forums

Video Projection from Inside House sync'd

Army Lights

Hi Everyone,

I looked at a few different threads here, but couldn't find the exact answer. Sorry in advance if this is a completely duplicate thread. 

I'd like to look at projecting a video on to a window from INSIDE my house and have it sync'd with the music. Specifically, I'm looking to do something very similar to the display at the 2:35 mark of the video on the LOR main page. A few questions:

• From the threads I read, it sounds like I don't need to have a super expensive projector to do this. Obviously the throw distance will not be very far.
  • Will a white bed sheet be the right medium to project onto? Again, keep in mind, I want to project from the inside (I'm assuming this is the most common way to do it anyway).
  • Now for questions I have no idea on:
    • How do I sync and trigger the video at the appropriate moments? How does it integrate with the LOR software/hardware? 
    • Do I need to run the video off of the same laptop that I run my show off of? 
      • If so, does it make more sense to keep the laptop with the projector and run a really long ethernet cable OR keep the laptop with the first controller in my sequence and run a really long HDMI cable?

Looking forward to feedback!! For this year, I'd be starting simple with just a couple video clips overlayed on my already existing LOR show. In the future, I'd design the show to revolve around the video.

Chris

Edited by Army Lights

You'll need a video editor program.  You'll then edit your video where you want it to play or "sync"  with the music.  I created mine into an MP4 then in the sequence editor attach the new video/music instead of the MP3. I have a cheap $50 projector I got off ebay.  I use an opaque white shower curtain an I run a 50' VGA cable from the show computer ( from Monoprice.com) 

4 minutes ago, BMurray said:

You'll need a video editor program.  You'll then edit your video where you want it to play or "sync"  with the music.  I created mine into an MP4 then in the sequence editor attach the new video/music instead of the MP3. I have a cheap $50 projector I got off ebay.  I use an opaque white shower curtain an I run a 50' VGA cable from the show computer ( from Monoprice.com) 

Thanks for your quick reply! So, just to confirm: If you're using an opaque shower curtain, you're projecting from outside, right? Also, what video editing program do you use? How do you rip the DVD/blu-ray? I know there are a ton of ways out there, but I haven't done anything like that in a while, so I'm looking for a dummy-style breakdown here :)

Edited by Army Lights

Playing from the inside. Sony Movie Studio.  You don't rip anything.  It's run directly from the show computer along with your sequence.  If you have video that is synced with your music.  If you have a looping type of video like a "Santa in the Window"  type then I would use an SD card or flash drive.  That way it's a stand alone and it doesn't need to be connected to the show computer.  

4 minutes ago, BMurray said:

Playing from the inside. Sony Movie Studio.  You don't rip anything.  It's run directly from the show computer along with your sequence.  If you have video that is synced with your music.  If you have a looping type of video like a "Santa in the Window"  type then I would use an SD card or flash drive.  That way it's a stand alone and it doesn't need to be connected to the show computer.  

Ok, I'm not sure I totally understand, but I probably need to experiment a bit so I don't annoy you guys with countless questions.

Last one for now though: So, let's say I want to have a few different clips from a few different movies (or the Santa in the window thing), and I want them to play at different times throughout the show. Are you saying I just need to find those clips somewhere on the internet? I was thinking I could go through my DVDs and pick out the clips that I like (i.e. the song from Frozen, a few clips from Christmas Vacation, and maybe even some Star Wars stuff), and then use a video editing program to mix that with the music and export in mp4 format. 

Then, once I have that mp4, I would assume I have that as the music source for the LOR sequence. How do I get that to play out over the projector though? Again, maybe it's simpler than I'm making it and once I try it, it'll just come together. I've just only ever used audio files on LOR. 

Sorry again for the neediness!!!

LOR can play inly 1 media file from show computer like wav mp3 or mpg4. Yes you will need extract video clips from dvd-rip them out.

And yes. You have to edit them. Pls provide more info. Do you need to show video in window all the time.during sequence or

Window will be dark and in some point of sequnce video will appears in window.

Im doing this dor halloween for 4 years front projection for pumpkins and rear inhouse projection for witch. And im using Wal-Mart FROST shower curtain.

Pls tell me detail how you wona Play it. I think i can help

49 minutes ago, Dmitriy said:

LOR can play inly 1 media file from show computer like wav mp3 or mpg4. Yes you will need extract video clips from dvd-rip them out.

And yes. You have to edit them. Pls provide more info. Do you need to show video in window all the time.during sequence or

Window will be dark and in some point of sequnce video will appears in window.

Im doing this dor halloween for 4 years front projection for pumpkins and rear inhouse projection for witch. And im using Wal-Mart FROST shower curtain.

Pls tell me detail how you wona Play it. I think i can help

Wow!!! Your setup is amazing!!!!! I've always wanted to do the animated Jack O' Lantern faces. If I figure this out for Christmas, maybe I'll integrate that into my Halloween show too!

Thanks for the great info! To answer your question, I'm looking for the window to be dark most of the time, and have the ability to play a video at certain points in the show. I kind of figured you could only have one media file, which of course creates a little more work, but nothing unexpected. I would think I just need to use the video editor, and overlay the videos over the song (or vice versa) and then export as mpeg4. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks for the heads up on the SVGA cable. That sounds like the better way to go. 

So, I guess I just have the following questions:

• Do you recommend the Sony Movie Study and BMurray did? Will that allow me to overlay the files and export? I'm picturing this all going somewhat like using Audacity but with the capability to mix video in. 
  • Do you recommend software to rip the DVD(s)? 
  • I have both MACs and PCs, so feel free to recommend software for either. 

You correct 100%!

you will need create mpg4 File, Software if your choice, I never use Sony, it shouldn't be that hard, Im Adobe user.

but its always same concept, You will have your Main Audio track and you will need to add video, put video on exact time spot, and on video track disable your Audio

or

when you rip video , rip only video without audio!

Im using MacX DVD Ripper Pro, i found it at ISOHUNT website. 

You gona be ok with VGA cable, i was using 100f!

In lor Sequnce editor you will need setup video Playback and make sure it set to play on full screen  - just look in forums, basically if you playing show from laptop - your projector gona be same as second monitor on vga output! -

simple test - before doing full setup with projector you can setup second monitor at vga cable!

Just remember LOR does Not have Media Player, its using Windows media player to play files!

PS, 10C

dont project black screen  - Project Falling snowflakes or just some christmas loops, you may find some free on Web, put them before and after your video - IMO,,,

here is some i found for you

Link HERE

Hey everyone, my video is up and running. I'm not in love with it, but conceptually, thanks for getting me through everything. My issues are that I have too large of a divider in my windows so it cuts out too much. The projector I'm borrowing also has too long of a throw distance, so I can't get the image large enough. BUT, just wanted to put a couple notes in case anyone references this thread late:

1) I just used an opaque white plastic table cloth from the 99c store. It works like charm.

2) I used SnagIt (always been one of my favorites) to take videos off of YouTube instead of ripping CDs. Among the 5 PCs and 1 Mac I have, I don't have a single CD Drive--and I'm too cheap to buy one ;) .

3) I downloaded Adobe Premiere Pro CC on a trial. Man, I love that software. If it were a fixed cost, I'd pay a decent amount of money for it, but I'm not paying the $19.99/mo. What a dumb business model.

4) I know everyone said mp4, but when I exported it that way, I just got wave forms instead of video. Then, I watched a video on the forums, and it said to use .avi. Once I did that, it worked like a charm. Maybe I'm missing something, and mp4 is the same as avi or something.

5) If anyone knows how to create two discrete videos (using same audio track), and have them placed anywhere within a frame, let me know. Basically, I'd like to pull apart the parts of the picture in the scenes I'm using and put them in the two windows that are separated by that divider. There's a way to reposition the video in Adobe, but I don't see that I can add a second video in there.

Thanks again for all your help!

I think I'm going to move the video from the window to my garage. Trying to figure out the logistics, but it should look pretty cool to have the entire garage as a video screen.

If anyone has a great place to buy a cheap projector that would do the trick, please let me know. I'm using a buddy's right now, and it works great, but can't find anything like it online. It's an "RD-803" which isn't sold anymore. It was under $200 and has 2200 lumens. Can't find anything comparable. 

I happy for you. All working...

Look at ebay. Lots of NEC projectors 2000 lumens and up. I like NEC cause you may setup sleep future. Projector will be in sleep mode till you start playing video. It will save you lamp houts alot

And It will go back to sleep if now video. They have that future i think from 2008 version projectors.

• The topic was locked