Light-O-Rama Forums

Another Track Question

Denny

OK, I knew I wasn't quite doing this properly when I started the sequence; at the time, I was experimenting with Tracks. "Unfortunately," I now like how things turned out and want to keep the sequence.

I started with a new sequence and set it up per normal, with all the channels. BUT, I did not go into the channel settings and set them up. Instead, I made another track and copied the channels into Track 2. Figured that they would automatically go back to Track 1 (the original sequence). Wrong. No biggie, I was just playing around with the VUE function, but as I said, it came out pretty neat, so thought I would continue. So, I go back to Track 1 and designate all the channels, thinking they will go to the other Tracks (I had set up a third track). WRONG! I continue the set up by setting up the animation, all 192 channels. Now, it gets interesting. It appears the channels from Tracks 2 & 3 are in the animation "Drawing" drop-down since I now have two sets of controllers 1 through 3. The set in Track 1 (the original track) has the channel names assigned. The set in Track 2 and Track 3 still have the originally assigned names such as Unit 01.2 etc. Hmmm.

I have a feeling if I would have set up the channels in the original sequence BEFORE setting up Tracks 2 & 3, I wouldn't have come across this problem. In another topic, I asked if there was a way to delete a Track. If I am able to delete Tracks 2 & 3, this should eliminate the duplication of controllers, correct?

Arizona heat is getting to me already and it hasn't even hit 90 yet!

Jeff,

Thanks for the advice. good advice!

I think I resolved the problem by deleting Tracks 2 & 3. Now, when I go into the animation window, the duplicates are no longer there. I think I will try to create a new Track 2 and see what happens, but don't think I will have any problems. I did save the original file with a new name though so I can go back if I screw it up again.

I started with a new sequence and set it up per normal, with all the channels. BUT, I did not go into the channel settings and set them up. Instead, I made another track and copied the channels into Track 2. Figured that they would automatically go back to Track 1 (the original sequence). Wrong.

I'm sorry, I don't understand what you mean by "automatically go back to Track 1".

Do you mean that after you made the second track, you changed one of its channel's settings (such as name, color, unit number or circuit number), but that it only changed in that track, and did not automatically change in the first track?

If so, I suspect that you might not have actually "copied the channels". You might have created new channels, not copied existing channels. Could you please say how you copied them?

To copy them (as opposed to creating new channels), make sure you use "Copy to Other Track" from the channel buttons' popup menus, or "Duplicate Track" from either the Edit menu or the track bars' popup menus.

Please let me know if I'm misunderstanding.

So, I go back to Track 1 and designate all the channels, thinking they will go to the other Tracks (I had set up a third track). WRONG!

Again, if you're saying that you changed (for example) the unit number of a channel, and it only changed in one track, I think you might have actually created new channels, not copied existing channels.

It appears the channels from Tracks 2 & 3 are in the animation "Drawing" drop-down since I now have two sets of controllers 1 through 3.

Every channel in every track is listed in that drop-down. If it's in more than one track, it will be listed more than once. It shouldn't matter which copy of any particular channel you select (as long as you really did copy them).

We understand that this dropdown box is potentially confusing, and intend to make it clearer in the future (probably there will be two dropdowns, one for the track, and the other for the channels within the track that you selected).

The set in Track 1 (the original track) has the channel names assigned. The set in Track 2 and Track 3 still have the originally assigned names such as Unit 01.2 etc. Hmmm.

Again, this backs the theory that those aren't really copies.

I have a feeling if I would have set up the channels in the original sequence BEFORE setting up Tracks 2 & 3, I wouldn't have come across this problem.

Whether you set up the name (and so forth) before or after you copy a channel to another track shouldn't matter.