Light-O-Rama Forums

It's Thanksgiving and I'm STILL building stuff!

Jaynee

While my husband was cooking today (he's the chef in our family - not me), I was in the garage working on a new build for the yard.  Set up begins TOMORROW for us and I'm still not done!  I got 2 1/2 of these made - tomorrow morning I'll work on the remaining 1 1/2 while my husband is out running errands.  With any luck I'll have them done by the time he gets home and we can begin setting up the outdoor display.  

I'm SO PLEASED with how these turned out.  I still need to tape the star's cord to the side so it's not visible, but for the most part, these came out exactly as I wanted!

Edited by Jaynee
  • Like 2

nice lattice tree. they'll look good with the spiral tree.

no pressure - but Jaynee - it's time to light 'em up!

get going...

• Like 1

That looks really nice Jaynee.

I wished I had you for a wife. But then we wouldn't get anything done around the house and we would starve because we both would be working on display props all the time. :)

You have a good hubby there. 

He knows this is my only vice, and he lets me have it.  And even though he doesn't build any of it and doesn't "own" the decorations the way I do (read: obsession with them), I know he is secretly pleased when we get praise from passersby while we're setting up the display.  He'd never admit to it though. *lol*

They look awesome.  How did you build them?  I've never seen anything like them before.  

Are they using dumb rgb inside?    Thanks.  

Edited by jrock_at_rons

14 minutes ago, Jaynee said:

He knows this is my only vice, and he lets me have it.  And even though he doesn't build any of it and doesn't "own" the decorations the way I do (read: obsession with them), I know he is secretly pleased when we get praise from passersby while we're setting up the display.  He'd never admit to it though. *lol*

My wife is the same way. She doesn't get involved at all but loves to brag about it and very happy when we hear praises about it.

She knows I enjoy it and lets me have my fun.

It's 2:45 PM on Friday as I type this.  The last lights are now installed and operational!  My show goes live in 4 hours and 14 minutes!

Now to clean up a little and start baking chocolate chip cookies for my turn on event...

Jaynee, don't feel bad or feel pressured about the fact that it was Thanksgiving and you were still building. Due to the inclement weather here, we have a weekend delay preventing construction on our display. If it wasn't raining here, we'd be on our roof hanging our new RGB window frames and our RGB ribbons. Also, if it weren't raining, the rest of our display would be up. It's okay, though, we're fine with waiting for the weather to improve. (This means we'll just adjust our schedule and allow the show to go into 2017 for just a bit.)

Well, I got all four trees done but there was a hitch when I went to put them on our lawn - the slant of our yard is just enough that these things were NOT going to stand up.  But they are part of my program, so I still needed to use them.  So now they are parked all alone on the right side of our display, on the other side of the driveway.  My spiral tree is over there too, and one big holly tree covered in lights, but that's about it.  They look very lonely over there. *lol*

We were able to turn on the lights last night, but not the dancing lights show - we still have a lot to do today - hang more lights, fix our window wreaths (we stupidly installed them BEFORE checking to make sure they still worked - 3 of 4 don't light up anymore), reconfigure one section of our lighted animals because one timer has 13.6 amps going into it, and we're not comfortable being that high, so we're going to set out another timer and move half that stuff to the added timer.  

With any luck, but the time the sun goes down, we'll be ready to put out our "tune to" sign and get the show going tonight.

It has been a LOT of hard work (made easier by bribing our two kids to help out on Friday and Saturday) - my husband and I have decided to take a holiday next year and not go all out.  We'll just hang the wreaths and some garland and call it done.  The good news about that - I'll have TWO YEARS to buy more controllers in the sales and add to the 2018 program!!

22 minutes ago, Jaynee said:

Well, I got all four trees done but there was a hitch when I went to put them on our lawn - the slant of our yard is just enough that these things were NOT going to stand up.....

Jaynee,

My yard is on a slant too. It's about 1" drop per 10" - 12". I buy these anchors from Christmas Light Show https://www.christmaslightshow.com/cart.php?target=product&product_id=992&category_id=33 and add an appropriate length of 1/4" all-thread rod between them. For an example, here's a picture when my 2 helpers were helping me level my Mega Tree. Also, I built the same spiral tree, so a picture of it mounted too.

Good luck.

tree%20with%20helpers_zpsbgdkzacr.jpg

Spiral%20Tree%20mount_zpsgncxoagc.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks, everyone.  We got all four of them set up and began running the show last night - they look great.  The only negative is that since they are powered by the LOR controller, the light colors all stay the same throughout the show - even when I manually hit "fade" on the remote control to have them cycle through colors, the minute the show kicks in, they revert back to all being the same color every time.  It's still a nice effect, but not quite what I had in mind.

3 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

Those do look nice.  What lights are you using?  I gather that it's some built in controller.

Nothing built in.  Just 10w RGB floodlights that have a "fade" option that cycles through the colors.  It has three other color-change settings as well as the option to just be any one color.

• The topic was locked