Light-O-Rama Forums

How far we have come. Where will we go?

ItsMeBobO

Morning reading found this article about moon exploration.      Amazing fact I never knew... pictures of the moon sent back to earth 50 years ago were taken with a film camera!   The space craft Lunar Orbiter II developed the film while orbiting and then digitized it which took five days to send back to earth.      What advances are we going to take for granted in the next 50 years?

Happy Thanksgiving to all.

2 minutes ago, ItsMeBobO said:

.... What advances are we going to take for granted in the next 50 years?.....

We'll all have chips inserted in us. Besides the obvious - medical records and just plain keeping track of us - we'll be able to access our own personal data banks from the cloud from anywhere - anytime we think about it. Always connected so to speak. A good feature will be our displays. We'll just picture our lights sequenced in our head and then poof - there it is. And all were amazed by what they saw.

• Like 1

I bought my first Digital cam in the mid 90's. 640 by 480 if I recall correctly, Recorded to floppy disk. Still have it around somewhere.

Now look, 4 Megapixel cameras are everywhere, in your pocket. Less than 20 years later.

We have the space program to thank for a lot of the advances we take for granted today including micro electronics which power our little light shows.

2 minutes ago, Mega Arch said:

A good feature will be our displays. We'll just picture our lights sequenced in our head and then poof - there it is. And all were amazed by what they saw.

Except that when everyone can do it, it won't be a challenge or a novelty anymore.

Just now, PhilMassey said:

Except that when everyone can do it, it won't be a challenge or a novelty anymore.

Good point. 

Except - I say I do it for the kids. But in true confessions - I do it for me! So I'd still be amazed..

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ItsMeBobO said:

Morning reading found this article about moon exploration.      Amazing fact I never knew... pictures of the moon sent back to earth 50 years ago were taken with a film camera!   The space craft Lunar Orbiter II developed the film while orbiting and then digitized it which took five days to send back to earth.      What advances are we going to take for granted in the next 50 years?

Happy Thanksgiving to all.

Bob - 45 years ago, I learned film developing from my Dad. He had taught photography in college for a period, so naturally he taught me. Then as my 3 sons were growing up, I wanted to teach them. They said no, not needed. Now I have some grandkids - maybe they'll let me teach them the art someday - if you can still get the film for my cameras... Yeah - we've come along way for sure.

12 minutes ago, PhilMassey said:

I bought my first Digital cam in the mid 90's. 640 by 480 if I recall correctly, Recorded to floppy disk. Still have it around somewhere.

Wow! I had a Sony Mavica too, I forgot about that thing.

6 minutes ago, Need more lights said:

Wow! I had a Sony Mavica too, I forgot about that thing.

I still have mine.   I even know where it is too...  Haven't used in about a decade after getting my Nikon D-50 DSLR however.

3 hours ago, k6ccc said:

I still have mine.   I even know where it is too...  Haven't used in about a decade after getting my Nikon D-50 DSLR however.

My daughter dropped mine and that was the end of it. Got a Cannon Rebel T5 now.

Just goes to show what can be done with an unlimited budget.

It also drove the eventual development of digital technologies.

We'll see a cashless society. Solar everything. Virtual reality will be more real than the real world. Most everything will be wireless. We may have a colony on the moon and/or Mars. Kids will say, "You used to drive?!?!?" It will be very interesting to see what future jobs will be.

Likely phrases we'll hear are "Why didn't I invest in that" or "Why didn't I see that coming?"

Should be interesting.

10 minutes ago, BryanZ said:

We'll see a cashless society. Solar everything. Virtual reality will be more real than the real world. Most everything will be wireless. We may have a colony on the moon and/or Mars. Kids will say, "You used to drive?!?!?" It will be very interesting to see what future jobs will be.

Likely phrases we'll hear are "Why didn't I invest in that" or "Why didn't I see that coming?"

Should be interesting.

Like this

On 24/11/2016 at 4:11 PM, PhilMassey said:

Now look, 4 Megapixel cameras are everywhere, in your pocket. Less th

4 megapixels? Modern phones have at least 12.

• The topic was locked