Light-O-Rama Forums

feature concern - CFLs

Philip

during the 07 Christmas season I started with some CFLs in my last LOR channel as a "static" element, but quickly had to change to very low watt incanscent bulbs due to the feedback from the CFLs reaking total havok on the controller AND the sequences (channels not turning off, etc)

Will there be any changes coming that might make CFLs more LOR friendly??

I ask because I am thinking about using some CFL blacklights in my Halloween show.

power usage is not a concern, my entire halloween setup is probably less than 25 amps spread across four controllers. the concren/issue is the feedback that was being caused by the CFLs and I am wondering if any of the changes coming forth this year might address this or should I reevaluate my setup

Currently I am planning to put my CFL blacklights and orange CFL's on a whole separate controller from rest of the the halloween display.

Hopefully I will get a chance to hook up some CFL's and LOR on a scope, and see if maybe some series inductance, parallel resistance, or a LC filter will clear up the issue between LOR and the CFL ballasts.. No telling when I will get a chance to give it a try..

One other option would be a mechanical relay in parallel with a small incandescent blacklight on a LOR channel, to switch the CFL blacklight..

- Kevin

Denny wrote:

Could also consider using X-10 for the CFLs, if you just want to use a channel to turn them on and off.

That was my first thought when reading this post - However -
"Some" CFL's ballast (or circuitry) will really pollute a power line with noise, that may block all X10 signals, preventing the off command even being received, for example.

I use a lot of X10 year 'round in my house, (controlled by the Ocelot and Homeseer) and just make it a practice to always place an X10 filter on the few lamps that I use CFL's in.

Your results may vary, depending on the particular CFL you are using. Just something to be aware of. I always test any new device with an ELK signal meter to see if an X10 filter is needed.

My Tivo is no where near a hardwired phone outlet, and I refuse to run wire around the outside of the house to reach it. So I am using a power line phone jack extender set.. The filters that keep some switching supplies from absorbing all the X10 signal also seem to absorb or interfere with the phone jack extender set.. I just can't seem to win.

- Kevin

ok, this got a bit off topic,

I was hoping one of the admins might have an answer for the original question about LORs future CFL compatibility

was also wondering if maybe a longer extension cord to the light might reduce the feedback to the controller board

We are looking into the problem. We know that some CFLs and standard florescent lights cause feedback problems that make the controller misbehave but we have not yet completed the analysis of the problem.

• 4 months later...

bump

came back to search for any new info and found nothing

SO, is there any new info about using CFLs with out LOR boards

Nothing new to report. We think some changes planned in the cards will help but until we make those changes and test them we will not know. Those changes are not scheduled until very late this year and most likely will not be available this year.

I will throw this out just as a point of reference.

Are you using the type of CFL that are the incadescent replacements that just screw into a socket, or are you talking about the type that are ballast driven?

The reason I ask, is for my fishtank, I had all kinds of problems with the ballest driven type. It turns out I had the older less effecient "magnetic" ballasts. When i swithced to the newer more efficient "Electric" Ballasts, my interference problems went away.

Just a though.