Light-O-Rama Forums

Waveforms for Video

VetteNut72

I noticed when opening a video file with LORII that no waveform display was available. Also some of the cool tempo tools were missing. Must be the way .WMV files are handled. So, I got a program to strip the audio from the .WMV file to a .WAV and loaded that .WAV into LORII. I could then use all the normal tools to set the tempo and beats. After I got all my timing marks right, I then loaded the .WMV file via the media file option from the edit dropdown. Hope this helps someone as much as it helped me ;)

Craig

tboerjan wrote:

Have you tried just re-naming the video file( Second copy) to .wav I believe this will play: don't know if wave form will show up; haven't tried that.

That would not work. WAV is like raw uncompressed audio, and windows media is a compressed format like mp3. But what you said MIGHT work if the wmv was renamed to wma. Those in theory have the same audio format.

Generally, renaming a file extension is not a good idea and can lead to many problems. I am VERY familiar with the .WAV format but know little of ASF (Advanced System Format) specification for .WMV files. I tried your suggestion just for fun and found out the the media player figures out it is a video file and plays it that way. Also, LORII plays it as well but, no waveform display. I find the use of the beat wizard to be very handy and like to have it available to set timings. By loading the stripped .WAV file first, and then the .WMV file via the edit/media file item, you get access to the waveform display and the cool tools. The waveform display goes away when you save and then reload the sequence but all your tempo and timing marks, based on the wizard and references to the waveform, will be there.

Craig

Yep, Daniel, that's what I was thinking, but not what I typed.

Additionally, one can capture the "video file's audio"; save it as a *.wav file and use that to sequence the song; then at the end switch back to the original video file.

daniel wrote:

That would not work. WAV is like raw uncompressed audio, and windows media is a compressed format like mp3. But what you said MIGHT work if the wmv was renamed to wma. Those in theory have the same audio format.

Renaming the file to .WMA doesn't work either.

tboerjan wrote:

Additionally, one can capture the "video file's audio"; save it as a *.wav file and use that to sequence the song; then at the end switch back to the original video file.

Yes, that is exactly what I am saying. As long as you use the edit/media file item to switch back and not by loading a new musical sequence. :)

Craig