Light-O-Rama Forums

a bit confused (LOR VS. LOR II)

Guest guest

I keep reading about the firmware upgrades and the new LOR II coming out. Am I correct in saying that the "current" line of hobbyist controllers will NOT be compatible with LOR II but will need to have a firmware upgrade? what is this I am hearing about a "chip" as well? I am looking at getting a couple CTB16D in April, but was thinking of satisfiying the "trinkering" nature in me and getting one now to play around with. I do know that the software upgrade to LOR II is free if I buy the current software now, which is no problem. The thing that confuses me is if I buy one controller now, make a few sequences in preperation for Christmas 2006, then upgrade to LOR II and purchase the other CTB16D in april (assuming that LOR II is ready in april and all the "april" purchased boards will be LOR II ready) will I just have to send my first (non LOR II) board to light-o-rama to be upgraded? can it be that simple? I would like to get one now, but I don't want to "screw" myself later.

As I understand it, you will not need to send in your board. You will be able to upgrade the firmware yourself. There is an option in the hardware utility.

As for LORII, I don't think it will be available in April. I thought it was suppose to be later in the year, like 3rd Quarter.

So my advice is get your board now if you like. Get an additional board in April and in later in the year upgrade your firmware to LORII