Light-O-Rama Forums

LED Lights Question

George Simmons

Almost exclusively, I use full-wave M5 LEDs bought from quality vendors.

I keep my "roofline" lights (most of which are tucked under the eaves away from direct sunlight and precipitation) up all year.  They're all 100 light strings.

Occasionally, when the lights haven't been powered for months (or even just a couple weeks) I notice a string will have one dark section when it's first plugged in, usually the first section.  And then the next time I look up, maybe just a few seconds later, it's lit.  At first I thought I was imagining it, but in the past week it has happened on three separate occasions with three separate strings.

Has anyone else ever noticed anything like this?

Edited by George Simmons

I find the little wires inside break.

When I find a section out I wiggle each bulb, when the section comes on, I pull out that bulb and replace it.

Usually, one of the wires is almost gone. I am guessing the temperature changes either allows it to make a connection or not.

My car had a recall because of the same thing, when the copper headlight wire in the fuse block heated up the headlights will stop working.

This was caused by the temperature changes under the hood flexed the plastic fuse block and eventually broke the copper wires.

• The topic was locked