Light-O-Rama Forums

PC to Receiver to Speakers

Sctiger

I'm trying to set up my new outdoor speakers and obviously I'm not doing something right.  The line is coming out of the PC to the receiver. The speaker wire is running from the receiver to the speakers.  I have the "Y" adapter in place coming out of the PC with headphones plugged in so I can hear the music.  Everything else downstream of that just isn't working. Any thoughts?

If the speakers are not self amplified it won't work. You need an amplifier or a boom box or similar with an aux jack

JR

Edited by dibblejr

Depends upon how you are running things. I run two sets Y adapters. The first is from the computer then I split the left and right sides and have those connections going to the powered speakers and the other to the FM transmitter.

Computer > Left Side > Powered Speaker

> FM Transmitter

Computer > Right Side > Powered Speaker

> FM Transmitter

My first guess is that the splitter is not doing what you think it is.  Do you get audio on the headphones, and do you get audio to the receiver if the headphones are NOT plugged in?

When you say "receiver", confirm that we are on the same page.  Are you talking about a home stereo "receiver" that has multiple inputs (such as CD, DVD, Cassette, Phone, AM/FM)?  If that is the case, what input are you plugged into?  Do you have that input selected on the receiver?  If you switch the receiver to another input (for example, AM/FM), do you get sound from the speakers?  Does that receiver have speaker select or on/off switches?  Does the receiver have a headphone output, and if yes, do you get audio from the headphones if you plug them into the receiver?

That's enough for now...

Out the PC...is it a stereo jack or mono?

In to back of receiver...aux input?

Check aux is selected on front of receiver

Check the volume on the PC, I have mine at about 70%

Check the volume on the receiver.

Sorry...didn't see the questions.

Update: I now have crystal clear sound! Everything was connected properly...except a couple of speaker wires. Some dope hooked it up wrong.