Light-O-Rama Forums

Best way to implement two 1602 Controllers

DKFCP

Hi,

I am a newbie as of 2015.  Our single1602 really upped our game last year.  SO, this year I've decided to add second 1602.  One controller is for the roof/house and the other controller will be for a mega tree.  I loaded my own program sequence onto the first 1602 but I did NOT use the computer to run the show.  (it was in standalone mode)

Questions:

Can the two controllers be set up in a master/slave configuration?  If so--would I just use a cat-5 cable between the two?

Do I need to load the program sequence onto the new 1602 and if so--how would I get the two controllers to sync?

Is there a better/more efficient/easier way to do this?

Thank you so much for your patience--I'm not trying to waste anyones time.  I really appreciate it.

Thank you!

DK

Yes, you can have one 1602 control other controllers.  You hook up a cat-5 cable between the two and load the stand-alone sequence into one of them.

Jim,

Thank you so much for the response.  Ill work on setting those up in the garage to test this weekend.  I already have the stand-alone sequence in the master--is there anything I need to do for the second unit or is it pretty much plug-and-play.

regards,

DK

OK Guys,

I now have my new (second) 1602 loaded up with the same sequence as the first controller.  They don't seem to work as a master/slave configuration--so I had to load the same sequence directly onto the second controller.  This is not exactly what I'd like to do.

I am hoping to run everything stand-alone but have 32 channels instead of just 2 x 16 channels.  I've made my 32 track sequence in the software--but how do I now add that to the two controllers?   Is that even possible in stand-alone mode?  Should I have the sequences start via the clock instead of "starting on power-on"?

I'm trying really hard to learn on my own and not bother any of you but at this point I could use a little nudge to get me on the right track.  Thank you in advance!

DK

You want to have the sequence downloaded into only one of the controllers.  If you are not getting the second controller controlled, I would ask a couple questions:

1)  What are the unit ID numbers that are used in the sequence?

2)  What unit ID numbers for each controller, and which one are you downloaded the sequence into?

3)  When you connect a cable between the two controllers and have the "master" controller running with the downloaded sequence, does the "slave" controller have have a solid or a blinking status light on the PC board?

As for startup via clock or when powered up, that depends on what you are trying to accomplish.  I'm not overly experienced with stand-alone operation, having downloaded a sequence one time into a CMB16D and watching it run for a few minutes before removing the downloaded sequence; so I understand the concepts, but not the expert here.

That's enough for now...

They only have a 1602 and not a 1602WG3-MP3, so in stand alone mode won't the sequence only control the 1602 it's in and not a connected 1602?

Thanks guys--Ill mess with it tonight and will report back.  

We've tried a lot of different Unit IDs but the only way we can seem to get it to work is with both controllers at Unit ID #1.

My big concern is what Mr. P said--I don't know if what I'm trying to do is even possible.  I might have to go ahead and buy a new "brain" for the system--something that I'm trying to avoid at this point.  Our set-up is really good and I just want to tweak some things this year.

THANK YOU!!

As far as I know, every LOR controller that can take a downloaded sequence, can control both self and other controllers on the network.

However I am not the expert here...

Sent from my Droid Turbo via Tapatalk, so blame any typos or spelling errors on Android

Guys,

Yes--that's exactly what I'm hoping for--that a master 1602 can standalone hold it's own 16 channels as well as an additional 16 channel sequence to run a slave 1602.

I love the idea of getting a Showtime or Mini MP3 Director setup--but not at this point when we are at the 11th hour.  I feel like the best thing this year would be to tweak last year's show with the additional 16 discrete channels.  It's more of a "learning" year than a leap year.  

I'm trying so hard to make things work but I have a hard time with all the supporting documents and the user interface.  I'm not a PC guy:  I've never used a PC in my life except to write this sequence last year.  I had to buy an old PC laptop just to make the sequence.  SO most of this is Greek to me.  

Thanks again for your patience!
DK

Well if it does work here is what you need to do. Give each 1602 its own unit ID, 1 and 2. In sequence editor you will have 32 channels created, the first 16 will be configured for unit 1 and the second 16 will be configured for unit 2. Load the sequence into unit 1 and connect the 1602's with a cat5 cable. Play the sequence and see what happens.

Unfortunately I'm on a phone at work so I can not practically look at the manual, nor try it. By the time I get home, my live landscape lighting show will be running so that can't test it on real controllers.

Sent from my Droid Turbo via Tapatalk, so blame any typos or spelling errors on Android

Well damn, I was able to look this up on my phone.. From the 1602 manual:

Stand Alone Operation

A stand alone animation sequence (sequence with

no accompanying audio) can be downloaded into

the flash memory of the lighting controller’s

microprocessor.

LOR160xW

Page 30

This sequence can contain approximately 5,000

commands. These commands can also be for

controllers other than this controller, so this

controller can direct a network of controllers. There

are no restrictions on the types of LOR controllers

in this network.

So confirms that a 1602 can control other controllers in standalone mode.

• Like 1

A 1602 can be used to control a network of LOR controllers.  Those other controllers do not need to be stand-alone capable.

Write your sequence so that it uses both controllers, UID 1 and UID 2.

Load the sequence in to the 1602 only.  

Connect a CAT5 cable from the 1602 to the other controller

Power both up and the sequence will run on both.

4 minutes ago, DevMike said:

A 1602 can be used to control a network of LOR controllers.  Those other controllers do not need to be stand-alone capable.

Write your sequence so that it uses both controllers, UID 1 and UID 2.

Load the sequence in to the 1602 only.  

Connect a CAT5 cable from the 1602 to the other controller

Power both up and the sequence will run on both.

Thanks DevMike, does this work with other stand alone controllers such as the CMB24D?

Thanks to DevMike, Mr. P, and k6ccc,

This is exactly what I've been hoping for and trying to do but have not had any luck.  

When assigning Unit IDs does it matter if I do it on the Unit itself or from the software on the computer?  Is it as simple as making sure that the master is Unit 1 and the slave is Unit 2?   That's what I've been doing so far to no avail.

Is there an order to turning power on (ie, does the master power need to come on first?  Does it matter?)  

Is there anything I need to do to tell Unit 2 to watch for an incoming signal from Unit 1?

--------------------------

I will work on this again this evening and will report back.

Many regards,

DK

Are the controller IDs set to match the sequence?

hey guys-

All went well with the light controller last night!  I can't thank you enough for chiming in the past few days.  I couldn't have done it without you!

Regards,

DK