Light-O-Rama Forums

4 wire 5v pixels not working with pixcon16

Aaron1973

Any one ever have trouble with 5v WS2811 4 wire nodes.  I wire them up to the pixcon16 and half the lights turn on after plugging in.  Will blow 4 amp fues if plugged in to long.  I have tried 5 different strings of them. Also have made sure they are wired opposite chip side.   Card works fine with other type of pixels and pixel tape.  

Thanks for any help.  

I'm pretty sure if they have 4 wires they are dumb nodes so the pixcon 16 is NOT the correct controller for those.  You need something like the  CMB24D  from Light O rama to run those.

2 minutes ago, B.Y.R.G. said:

I'm pretty sure if they have 4 wires they are dumb nodes so the pixcon 16 is NOT the correct controller for those.  You need something like the  CMB24D  from Light O rama to run those.

Some smart pixels use 4 wires so that would be incorrect - some pixels use a CLOCK signal.  The WS2811 is a smart pixel controller chip.

The WS2811 pixels do not require a clock signal and are only three wire.  If those are four wire pixels, they are not the WS2811 pixels.  They may be some other smart pixel or may be dumb nodes.  The first step is to find out what they actually are AND the correct wiring.  Remember that there is NO standard for wire color codes for smart pixels, so you need to verify what the colors are for that string.

They are smart pixels.  There are two blue wires.   Both attached to ground.  One data and one positive.  Some one said it could be a pixel speed setting in network preferences.  Not sure if anyone has seen that.   

2 minutes ago, Aaron1973 said:

They are smart pixels.  There are two blue wires.   Both attached to ground.  One data and one positive.  Some one said it could be a pixel speed setting in network preferences.  Not sure if anyone has seen that.   

You need to be specific when asking questions.  The fact that two of the wires connect to the same connection on the pixels was important data.

If you are blowing fuses, either there is a short circuit or they are wired wrong.

4 hours ago, Aaron1973 said:

Also have made sure they are wired opposite chip side

What do you mean they are wired opposite chip side - or are these strips and you wired to the back side of the strip (which does not matter)?

Including a photo of the connection labeling on the pixels might help.

My apologies for leaving the wiring out.   They are wired from the male side connector,  positive and ground wire (red and blue).  Same side has loose white data wire and loose additional blue ground wire.   From the other end female connector the white data wire and additional blue ground wire are attached to the connector. The red and blue (positive and negative are loose.   Hope that helps.   Its not letting me upload a picture.   

It sounds like you have 3 wire pixels with a pigtail added on.  Many of the pixels or pixel strips you order have pigtails attached to facility or ease power injection

Capture.JPG