Light-O-Rama Forums

What to get

Guest guest

What to get? As a noobie, I have pondered the same question. I was thinking about 6 CTB08,s due mainly to the cost, however, I can buy 3 16D's cheaper than 6 08's, If my math is right. The 16D boards are upgradeable with firmware, easier to assign, and will be more flexible in the future! 3 16D's for cheaper than 6 08's and boards that will do more than the 08's. It's a no brainer to me! Correct me if I'm wrong! All I can say is....come on April. Finished my taxes, and it LOR time!

OCJ

Actually there are pros and cons to both which have been discussed here in great detail. But honestly it boils down to cords. With 8 channel delux with heatsink you can do the same things as with the 16 channel. The heatsink is a no brainer.

If you have many 8's running around your yard they are closer to the displays and therefore less cord to purchase. However, with the 16's you have fewer boxes to build and less of them all over your yard.

On a channel by channel basis I always thought the 16 channels were less expensive but will check again and post if I am incorrect.

Yes they do but they can not act as a stand alone unit. They have to have the numbers set in firmware where the D's have their own dials. There are other things they can not do that the deluxe models can. I have considered purchasing just the 8's for my mini tree runs but have thought better of it.

Since I just purchased my first LOR board, I can give you my 2 cents. I am only planning on 32 LOR channels this year with a bunch of X10 mixed in. I decided that for starters I would go with the 16D w/ heatsink board. That gives me the opportunity to add the 8's (maybe not deluxe) later. Also, since I was not patient enough to wait for the sale, I figured I could save more using a quantity discount during the april sale time on the 8's.

Daniel wrote:

That was why in the original post to get one "D" version for the standalone and the add-on capabilities.
--Daniel L

Dan (Baldwin)

Is there a possibility that one day the "non-D" units would be unable to handle some of the effects that a "D" unit can handle? By that I mean, would there be some commands that were complex enough that a regular board wouldn't be able to perform the command, no matter how it was attached to the network.

Should be people be considering purchasing "D" units to prevent something like this from happening?

Don wrote:

Dan (Baldwin)

Is there a possibility that one day the "non-D" units would be unable to handle some of the effects that a "D" unit can handle? By that I mean, would there be some commands that were complex enough that a regular board wouldn't be able to perform the command, no matter how it was attached to the network.

Should be people be considering purchasing "D" units to prevent something like this from happening?

I consider the biggest short coming of the CTB08 is that it does not have firmware upgradeability. New features will not, in most cases, be added to the CTB08 controllers. They are a good basic, no-frills controller.

Currently the lighting effects are the same between the different controllers. We will be adding new lighting effects and the CTB08s will not be upgradedable to handle those new effects.