Light-O-Rama Forums

Oilmoney is staying dark this season, warning: kinda graphic xray pic

oilmoney

The last couple of years we've been doing a haunted house in the backyard for halloween. On october 24 I was standing roughly 7ft off the ground trying to pull a huge tarp ( 50x50 or bigger ? ) over a 2x4 frame. The tarp, ladder and everything around me was soaked. When I gave the tarp a good tug it hooked on something and caused my body to go perfectly horizontal before gravity took over. It probably wouldn't have been so bad if I fell on the lawn but I fell on the paving stone around my firepit instead. Long story short...dislocated and smashed right elbow, hairline fractures in my right forearm, and hairline fractured and bruised ribs.

i'm on temporary disability now for the next 3-4 months and will need surgery as there's a whole bunch of bone fragments in my elbow joint that will need to be repaired or removed. I'm right handed of course so everything has become more interesting in life, you wouldn't believe how long it is taking to type this post,lol. The most interesting challenge so far has been putting my contact lenses in with only my left hand!

i've had lots of offers from friends and well wishers to help set up the display but the part i'm concerned about is the take down in -30 in january, nobody is volunteering for that. My other dilemma was that my sequencing was not yet finished and there is no way i could do it with only my left hand lol. Due to this I decided to stay dark this year. I realize that I could set up and just run last years show but It just wouldn't be the same for me.

I work in a line of work where everything is trying to kill you and therefore over the last 20 years I have developed a culture of safety on and off the job. Up until now I have never broken or dislocated anything or had any serious injuries. I let my guard down and paid the price, I was trying to move an object into a position myself that should require 3-4 people IMO. As I look into my backyard at a half built haunted house and into the front at a half setup light display I realize the consequences of letting my guard down and in the future I will stop and evaluate further before I execute...

I'm already looking forwards to next year's haunted house and light display and you'll probably see me on here asking lots of stupid questions about S4 and the pixel editor, I've got time now, might as well make the switch and the jump!

oilmoney, the one winged xmas angel

14805392_10154830458154610_856971757_n.j14825595_10154830458209610_493911419_n.j14937829_10154848661304610_260769931_n.j

Ouch! I hope the surgery and recovery goes well for you. Hint, I've seen X-rays of the elbow before - its NOT supposed to look like that ?

You got me with comment about putting your contact lenses in with one hand. I also wear contacts that come out every night. Trying to do that with one hand sounds terrible!

Sent from my Droid Turbo via Tapatalk, so blame any typos or spelling errors on Android

Sorry to hear this.  Hope you have a speedy recovery.  I think we all push the limits sometimes just to get it done.

Sometimes the cost of doing business in this hobby gets a little high.  This is definitely one of those times.

Enjoy staying warm in January.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, oilmoney said:

I'm already looking forwards to next year's haunted house and light display and you'll probably see me on here asking lots of stupid questions about S4 and the pixel editor, I've got time now, might as well make the switch and the jump

When life hands you lemons.....

Good way to look at it. I work at heights, ladders, aerial lifts everyday and your pictures make me cringe. Hope all goes well.

Alan...

• The topic was locked