Light-O-Rama Forums

Channel not turning on

JimCanfield

I went through the sequence and tapped out the strong beats and had it insert a timing event into each tap into a seperate channel. I then went through the sequence and adjusted the timings so it would be correct and added the beats to one of my actual channels. While playing it back certain beats that I had turned on would not turn on. I tried the same cell with different channels and it would work in the other channels.

I tried playing it over and over in the visable screen and sometimes it would turn on and others it would not.

Really has me baffled.

I am using LORII

One of the first things to do is pull up the channel properties tool, and make sure you do not have two separate channels in the editor pointing to the same hardware channel.

- Kevin

Hi, can you email a copy of the sequence to support@lightorama.com. In the email list: That that Channel?? does not seem to light correctly. Include type of controllers do you have, type of lights attached, type of comunications adapter used and if you use ELLs.

Thanks
Dan

I do not have it hooked up yet, it is just on the editor that it is not showing up. I do not have any controllers hooked up to it yet. I am just worried that if it doesn't show up in the editior all the time if it will turn the lights on all the time. DO ou still want me to e mail a copy? Also, what are ELLs?

The visualizer can be a little temperamental at times, particularly when the sequence screen advances. Does the channel itself (on the left side of the sequence screen) blink appropriately? If you have a controller, now would be a good time to connect it and give it a test.

JimCanfield wrote:

I do not have it hooked up yet, it is just on the editor that it is not showing up. I do not have any controllers hooked up to it yet. I am just worried that if it doesn't show up in the editior all the time if it will turn the lights on all the time. DO ou still want me to e mail a copy? Also, what are ELLs?

Thanks, I understand better now... What is the duration of the "on" event that does not always come on?

Dan

The light of the channel on the left does not turn on all the time either and the original timing was about a tenth of a second or so, but I dragged the timing to make it longer (thinking that it may have been to short of a time) and it still would not work. I Just got home, I will play the sequence again and see what happens.

I just played it and some timings do not work when I play it. I also tried other channels during that time and they only work onc ein a while.

I forgot to tell you that I tapped out the timings and I selected insert a timing event into the sequence for each tap.

I just started to sequence more and now what I added (in tenth of a second timings) is not showing up on the visualizer at all but seems to be showing up on the channel buttons on the left.

I forgot to mention that I shortened the song through Audacity.

One thing to remember is that moving the channel grid, varying the channel button colors, highlighting the current event, and highlighting the current time are all individually more compute intensive than sending the commands to control the lights. I would suggest looking under play, and turn all these off, except varying channel buttons. I will say that even on my 1.8Ghz, Core Duo, 1G RAM system, short events don't always render on the animation or channel buttons, depending on what other programs are running.. If I do anything in the sequence editor on the 600Mhz laptop that actually runs the show, I have all those options turned off.

- Kevin

JimCanfield wrote:

I just started to sequence more and now what I added (in tenth of a second timings) is not showing up on the visualizer at all but seems to be showing up on the channel buttons on the left.

I forgot to mention that I shortened the song through Audacity.

Jim,

How fast is the PC that you are using for sequencing?

Thanks
Dan

Seems like it was the moments that was less than tenth of a second. I went through and every timing that was less than a tenth of a second I made it a tenth (which the main track is set up in) and it all worked. Is it possible that it is not able to do anything less than a tenth of a second? I am also wondering if it as anything to do with using the tapper wizard and using it to insert a timing event into each tap.

We believe that the issue here is a algorithm that controls the speed of screen refresh. That code is used to regulate system resource usage and is optimized for slower machines. We are going to make it an option to turn off that feature so that faster machines will not experience that you are seeing.

This has nothing to do with the actual control of lights. There isn't a throttle in place on the lights so they operate correctly. This only affects the display.

We have been so careful to minimize system resource usage that we are in good shape so we can now make some of the optimizations optional.

WOW, thank you very much Dan! I appreciate your dedication towards us as a customer and me as having this problem. I will keep sequencing and not worry about the lights not showing up on the display. Hopefully here in the next few weeks I can get my controllers soldered and will know first hand!

JimCanfield wrote:

Seems like it was the moments that was less than tenth of a second.

I had a similar problem with my lights when I did a trial run with LOR I at the end of the season. I have a strobe type effect at the end of one of my songs where I occasionally pulse a channel on for 0.05 seconds. Several of these pulses failed to show on the lights using LOR. When I extended them to 0.1 seconds they worked.

I was able to do the 0.05 second pulses using my parallel port control program during the season. I assumed it was a resource issue related to the RS-232 port since I was using an old 400 MHz PC to run the show.